Check out my new adopted kids.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps we could stick to the topic at hand... F&B considering sending me his kids :eyebrow:

Dale

If you want to visit or baby sit the kids for me, why don't you come down to our NorCal vintage get together & Sept. 15-18 at Albion. Just maybe I'll let you handle the kids if your adult enough.:wink:

I recognize those tanks, but they were not originally scuba tanks. They came from the 1950s, and originally were used on 20-man life rafts, filled with CO2. The also originally were covered with spun stainless steel wire, which was cut off before they were used for the scuba. The spun wire was required for any pressure cylinder used on a military aircraft to prevent it from sending metal pieces into the aircraft if the cylinder was hit by enemy fire. The manifold is almost certainly home-made to go over the outside threads. Because it is a home-made manifold, I suspect (as I don't see them) that there are no over-pressure relief valves on this manifold. Therefore, no dive shop will fill it in this configuration. In the USAF, we took these cylinders, removed the piano wire , cut off the top and taped them for 1/2 inch tapered threads for a USD double manifold. This is a great find, and if you were to tap the manifold for an overpressure relief valve (you may need three, depending on how it is set up) they should be great for diving.

SeaRat

John

There is a burst disk located on the end of the manifold. If you look at the bottom close up photo you can see the burst disk on the side. I would have to replace it with a multi directional burst disk to be compliant for a LDS. I haven't taken the manifold apart yet but it appears to be a simple affair. The tanks are stamped 2100 psi but I wonder what the cu feet are each?

Hi NewmaN,
Kemps Cow !:eyebrow::crafty::mooner::):D

Dale

If you want to visit or baby sit the kids for me, why don't you come down to our NorCal vintage get together & Sept. 15-18 at Albion. Just maybe I'll let you handle the kids if your adult enough.:wink:

Something about that post just sounds wrong to me.

I was looking at that event until I measued the distance from Abbotsford. 855miles, 16.5hr's one way. Otherwise I would take you up on the offer :)

In the USAF we called them "twin 40s." Each should have about 40 cubic feet of air at 2100 psig. 'Glad to hear about the overpressure relief valve. I could not tell from the photos, and felt it needed to be checked out. I got a pair of those cylinders (modified the way I told you about) last year, and they hydroed just fine. I had them it the water on Sunday. Here's some photos of mine before and after doing some work on them.
IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

SeaRat

Just wanted to give an update on the 2 triple tanks sets I got a while back. I took one set apart and brought the tanks to a friend of mine who owns a hydro shop. The tanks necks are 1 1/8 inch wide with outside threads. My friend had to locate an adapter to attach to the threads to hydro them with his equipment. He found one from a hydro equip. supplier and we were a go for testing. The manifold was a unique affair but was easy to disassemble. The tanks were hydro'd, tumbled, sand blasted, and VIP'd. They passed with flying colors.

With new date stamps, I took my new kids home and rattle can painted them with a zinc cold galvanize paint. I liked the gray color of them so I rattle can painted 2 coats of Rustoleum med gray on them. I then cleaned up the manifold with vinegar and green scrubby pad and they came out nice and shiny. The tank manifolds needed new seals so I purchased a sheet of Teflon plastic (rated 3000 psi) from McMaster Carr. I had to cut three 1 1/16" round doughnut seats for each tank top along with two smaller ones for the two sides of the valve itself. I replaced the six o-rings that went between each valve top. After re-assembling everything I slowly pumped air from my little Cornelius compressor to 1000 psi. I had no leaks and everything held together. I also replaced the harness straps as the originals were worn out.

I can't wait till I pump them up to 2100 psi and dive with them soon. By the way I threw them into my pool and they were just barely pos buoyancy by about 1 1/2 lbs. at 1000 psi.

- Jerry

My side yard paint studio

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the manifold disassembled

Tank top. Notice the beveled sides to seat the o-rings

The manifold valve with two new seats inside

My finished kids with my favorite Mistral

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They turned out super nice, Jerry!

BTW, the harnesses you saw me diving are all simonbeans harnesses. He does a great job.

Excellent job!!!

Also, great job on the DIY method for the teflon, I'll have to remember that one since I get so much other stuff from McMC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom