Check out my new (to me) old tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up a really nice galvanized steel 50 with a fresh hydro (last week!). I've got a couple steel 72s, and I love them, so when I came across this thing I just couldnt pass it up. I had this super nice "K-style" 1/2" pipe thread valve laying around from one of my old steel 72s that failed hydro, so I ditched the crappy valve this came with and put my cool one on...

Anyways, figured a couple of you guys would like some pics...

One more thing, are the buoyancy characteristics of the 50 similar to that of the steel 72 (other than the swing from empty to full)?

Nate

steel50.jpg

steel50top.jpg

steel50bottom.jpg

pipethreadvalve.jpg

Nice tank. I have a set of double 40s (1800 psi), kind of similar to that tank but with 3/4" NPS neck. They seem to behave similarly to my steel 72s.

I would lightly wire brush the bottom and use some galvanizing paint to touch up the bottom. It work well and protects the tank, especially if you use a tank boot.

That is a good valve and I see that the burst disc style has already been replaced.

One important suggestion is to remove that cap at the end of the knob (and throw it away). It is only cosmetic, it serves no purpose (it provides no protection or anything like that) and it collects salt water, sand, etc. It just tends to accelerate corrosion.

What pressure is that tank? Is it 2250, 1800, or something else? Is it “+” stamped?

Out of curiosity, were those valves made like that, or is that a standard 3/4 NPSM valve turned down? I've never seen a "k" style taper valve, only post valves. Nice looking tank tho, my favourite tanks are my double galvanized 72's that are significantly older than me. :)

Jim

Out of curiosity, were those valves made like that, or is that a standard 3/4 NPSM valve turned down? I've never seen a "k" style taper valve, only post valves. Nice looking tank tho, my favourite tanks are my double galvanized 72's that are significantly older than me. :)

Jim

I can't say for sure about that particular valve, but I have seen both "K" (with side knob) and "J" valves with tapered 1/2" NPT threads. I think that one came originally like that or at least there were some similar.

In the early 70's I had a Nemrod tank with a "J" valve with side knob and a 1/2" NPT neck. It also had 5 bumps on the bottom so it could stand up without a boot.

In the early 70's I had a Nemrod tank with a "J" valve with side knob and a 1/2" NPT neck. It also had 5 bumps on the bottom so it could stand up without a boot.

That would be a pretty interesting tank to see. I've never heard of any steel tanks with anything other than a round bottom, very cool.

Great tank. I have some concern about that valve though. Are you sure that those are tapered threads? How many turns does it have before tightening? In the first photo, it just doesn't look like enough of the valve is engaged into the tank.

Otherwise, cool.:)

That would be a pretty interesting tank to see. I've never heard of any steel tanks with anything other than a round bottom, very cool.

I had one with the "feet" as a pony back in the 80s and have no idea what happened to it. Some called them Elephant foot tanks. Most were surplus CO2 fire extinguisher tanks which could date from WWII through the later 50s.

What pressure is that tank? Is it 2250, 1800, or something else? Is it “+” stamped?

It is 2250. Although it was originally plus-rated, I have yet to find a place around here that tests for the + (believe I've looked hi and low). Anyways not a big deal if you find the right tank jockey.

The place where I bought it has a pair of galvanized 50s, but rated for 1800 psi with 3/4" necks. They are slightly bigger than mine. They want $50 each for them. Seems like a good deal with a 1 year old hydro, but I dont think I really would use them, cuz I'm never gonna dive doubles...

Yeah, the valve was definitely made like that. I've only seen a couple, I think they're kind of rare.

Great tank. I have some concern about that valve though. Are you sure that those are tapered threads? How many turns does it have before tightening? In the first photo, it just doesn't look like enough of the valve is engaged into the tank.

Otherwise, cool.:)

The picture is kind of deceiving, there is probably a 1/2" or 6 or so turns in there. My roommate has an old steel 72 and his looks exactly the same as mine.

Back
Top Bottom