Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOS-Decompression-meter-open-EN-1024x683.jpg
SOS-Decompression-meter-dive-phase-EN-1024x576.jpg

Has anyone ever used one? Interesting how they marketed this purely mechanical instrument... “functions automatically like an electronic brain”

My business business partner had one of those, branded through Barakuda -- the "DCP" for DeComPressimetro -- from the early 1960s. when he first hit the water; though I think that it could have even dated from the late 1950s. It was interesting to see remnants of a bygone time, when we weren't all slaves to batteries and electronics.

We took it out with us a few times, back in the 1990s; and the thing actually worked and mimicked the profile of the old Suunto Solution reasonably well, in terms of the onset of a decompression dive and a requisite stop. The Solution offered about 17 minutes at 30 meters or so, on a first dive; and the SOS, a bit over 20, before entering the red zone, if memory serves . . .

We used the SOS Automatic Decompression Meter in the 70's. I only used it for a short time. They are big and clumsy. I didn't really trust it, but I do think it is an interesting and kind of cool idea.

I have heard some divers using them much later than that.

still have one. bought it through a Scubapro dealer in the middle 70's. used it for a few trips to Cayman Brac. I remember some calling it the BENDOMATIC.

SOS-Decompression-meter-family-768x432.jpg
SOS-Decompression-meter-Description.jpg

The original Italian model -- the "DCP" for DeComPressimetro -- was marketed by a number of companies, through the 1960s-70s . . .

You know what I've seen with those things is a collection of black pieces of stuff rattling around inside the gauge
which is a just a surround fashioned from a cable tie so you just unscrew the face plate with a pin spanner and..

What does hoarding mean? - Google Search

View attachment 637513 View attachment 637514

My business business partner had one of those, branded through Barakuda -- the "DCP" for DeComPressimetro -- from the early 1960s. when he first hit the water; though I think that it could have even dated from the late 1950s. It was interesting to see remnants of a bygone time, when we weren't all slaves to batteries and electronics.

We took it out with us a few times, back in the 1990s; and the thing actually worked and mimicked the profile of the old Suunto Solution reasonably well, in terms of the onset of a decompression dive and a requisite stop. The Solution offered about 17 minutes at 30 meters or so, on a first dive; and the SOS, a bit over 20, before entering the red zone, if memory serves . . .
I’ve always appreciated mechanical solutions to problems...

Did you have to wear a separate timing device?

always had a depth gauge and watch with me and reviewed tables before the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom