Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sent me off on a search. If this was published in 1952, it was wrong in at least one aspect--a UC Berkeley student had died by 1951 (not sure when). They were right about no training required--who could require it, since the training did not exist? To my knowledge, the first training program started at the Scripps institute in 1951, as a response to the Berkeley death. The Scripps people made up the training as they went. They first had to figure out how to dive themselves, and then they had to figure out how to teach it. Apparently many of the safety skills included were not so much in response to actual accidents but rather to what, in their imagination, might happen on a dive.

If you are interested, here is where I got that:
https://tos.org/oceanography/assets/docs/16-3_hanauer.pdf

That was what prompted Scripps, LA county, and a number of others to research, write and publish The Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving in 1958, which I believe was the the best instruction for scuba written. It was revised and became The New Science of SCUBA Diving in 1962. It was republished into the '90s but was replaced by Agency texts.

Yep, my avatar is I, sometime in the early to mid 1950s. I "learned" to dive in Lake Erie from my father, who bought the gear and read some instructions. No wet suit, no BCD, no SPG or depth gauge. We had a packet with a CO2 cartridge we could squeeze to get an air filled lift bag if we needed help to surface. Actually, the full face mask was pretty nice and easy to clear. Air fills didn't require any cert. I wasn't even aware if there were certs of any kind then.

Damned wonder we didn't kill ourselves or suffer some serious barotrauma:)

If any old timers can remember the name of that rig I have, I would be interested.
What a great picture, looks like on the side of your mask you have some kind of large regulator. Never seen that in the old catalogs before. Is the original picture clear?

To my knowledge, the first training program started at the Scripps institute in 1951

When I was a kid in the 60's I'd spend time hanging out at the old Scripps Aquarium (the one shown in the first few minutes of the original Creature from the Black Lagoon movie). I thought it was so cool to actually be at a place that appeared in the movies.

Anyway, I pretty much knew all the scientific names of the local fish by heart and I would tell any tourist willing to listen what various fish were in the different tanks. So there I am explaining that the big flat one was a Paralichthys californicus when this guy walks up and says, "Hey kid, you want to go in the back with me?" Today, I'd just figure it was some pervert and ignore him, but back then, I said, "Sure!" :) Turned out to be Jim Stewart. He gave me a behind the scene tour and we talked diving for a while. He gave me a copy of the Scripps Diving Manual that had his name on it as an author. I think I still have it around here somewhere. Anyway, fast forward to 1979 and I'm at Scripps on a trip with @Sam Miller III and Sam introduces me to Jim Stewart. I asked Jim if he remembered our prior meeting and he said he did. I'm pretty sure he was just being polite. I sure remembered it though. Good memories. M

Yep, my avatar is I, sometime in the early to mid 1950s. I "learned" to dive in Lake Erie from my father, who bought the gear and read some instructions. No wet suit, no BCD, no SPG or depth gauge. We had a packet with a CO2 cartridge we could squeeze to get an air filled lift bag if we needed help to surface. Actually, the full face mask was pretty nice and easy to clear. Air fills didn't require any cert. I wasn't even aware if there were certs of any kind then.

Damned wonder we didn't kill ourselves or suffer some serious barotrauma:)

If any old timers can remember the name of that rig I have, I would be interested.
In my Basic Scuba book written in 1960 looks like your wearing a “Scott Hydro Pak” two stage. Quote: this is one of the remaining quality full face lungs, considered by many in the retail business as the Cadillac of its class.

Made by Scott’s Aviation Corp New York

upload_2020-11-25_20-56-31.jpeg

In my Basic Scuba book written in 1960 looks like your wearing a “Scott Hydro Pak” two stage. Quote: this is one of the remaining quality full face lungs, considered by many in the retail business as the Cadillac of its class.

View attachment 626651
Interesting.

Similar to the type from the intro of Sea Hunt?

Or an actual demand type?

What a great picture, looks like on the side of your mask you have some kind of large regulator. Never seen that in the old catalogs before. Is the original picture clear?

On one side was a purge valve, and the other side had a regulator of some sort, I think.

View attachment 626651

Yeah, Hydro Pak, that was it, thanks.

On one side was a purge valve, and the other side had a regulator of some sort, I think.

Your right side was the demand valve and the left was the exhalation valve, according to the drawing.

Very cool. You were a lucky boy.

Back
Top Bottom