Checklists: If surgical teams don't comply, what hope do divers have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLOC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
"Only 20% of surgeons would like to use a checklist in their operations……but 94% would like one used in an operation on themselves…!"

Atul Gawande gave four presentations before Christmas as the 2014 Reith Lectures’ presenter (BBC iPlayer downloads and transcripts can be downloaded from here).

During these presentations, he highlighted ways in which the healthcare and medical industries could develop their safety further, but he also recognised that we are all human, fallible and therefore there was a limit to what could be achieved and, consequently we needed to recognise this when judging adverse outcomes. The same situation needs to be recognised within sports diving where we are undertaking an activity (of our choice) which has an inherent risk of fatality as we are in a hostile, non-life sustaining environment if something serious goes wrong.

His second presentation specifically looked at how better systems could improve safety, and radically reduce the mistakes and errors made, and improve performance. Some of you may have already read my articles about checklists and attended presentations I have given highlighting the need to have an established and positive culture to their use but you might be surprised to know that even in complex environments such as surgery, aviation and the oil and gas industry, they are not used when or as they are supposed to be

In Atul’s book, the Checklist Manifesto, he identifies that during a global study involving nearly 4000 patients, fatalities were reduced by 47%, adverse outcomes reduced by 36% and infections reduced by half through the use of a simple checklist like this (link to NHS site). This weekend I was chatting with Professor Simon Mitchell at the 6th Tech Diving Network conference in Germany where we were both presenting. Simon's team were part of this global study and he commented that if as much investment had been made into checklist design and deployment and other human factors interventions as drug research, then the millions of lives would have been saved. However, we also recognised that companies don't make money from such interventions!
World-Health-Organization-surgical-safety-checklist-adapted-for-England-and-Wales-ASA.png

You might think that such checklist items should not be required for surgery, but they were! You could ask the same about checks for an aircraft landing, why would you need to write a checklist to ensure you put the gear down? Pilots still miss them or don’t do them – they get complacent in what they are doing. Complacency has been defined as the mismatch between the model which the operator has and the real situation – things have changed and we haven’t noticed and recognised that they have.

So why shouldn’t we use a short, hard-copy checklist for rebreather diving or a cross-checked verbal checklist for areas where the risks are less? I can’t think of a good reason to be honest! Internet comments are often seen along the lines of “If you need a checklist to dive a CCR, then you shouldn’t be diving a CCR”. Same goes for other forms of diving. DAN did a study in 2012 on the use of checklists in recreational diving where they gave a checklist to one half of a boat and the other half could use a checklist if they wanted to. The results are available here and they stopped a number of divers getting into the water with incorrect equipment configurations. Did these prevent an incident from occurring, maybe. However, it only takes a series of unlinked situations to create that perfect storm and that gap in the Swiss Cheese Model opens up, allowing the incident to develop to maturity.

Animated Swiss Cheese Model from Human In the System on Vimeo.

I completed my Mod 1 on the JJ CCR in December 2014 and as part of that course the instructor required us to develop our own build and pre-dive checklists, refining the operational manual such that we were sure everything was in a safe configuration to dive using a checklist format that was usable (note: there is a science to developing checklists and they should simple (6-8 items per checklist) and no more than 2-3 mins to complete each checklist. I personally went further and developed the buddy pre-dive brief and wrote it down and would then read from this to make sure everything was covered from my perspective and to let my team know I had done the checks. This pre-brief format allowed me to capture everything I needed to action during the pre-breathe making sure the items/actions were as they were supposed to be before I read off the list of items in the brief – a checklist is useless if you don’t follow it and make sure the items are as they are. My instructor argued that I should be able to run through a brief from memory, using the equipment configuration (starting on the O2 side, working up to the top over the right-hand side, then down to the dil side valves and then back up over the top again) as a flow. My concern was that due to human behaviour and nature, we will likely miss things and each time we miss them and someone else doesn’t pick them up, we ‘accept’ that they are not required and will likely be forgotten on subsequent checks.

Checklists provide the operator with a structure to follow to ensure that the tasks are actually completed. Similarly, structured briefs ensure that both the communicator and the listener(s) know that everything has been covered that should have been because if the person giving the brief misses something, then the others can remind them. If a brief is haphazard, then the rest of the team do not know if something has been missed by accident or omitted on purpose. For those who solo dive, a checklist is even more important because when you commit an act of omission (a lapse in error management terms), then you will not know you’ve missed the item and there is no-one else to pick you up on it. That minor item may be inconsequential, but then again it might be the start of a chain of events which you won’t recognise until it is too late, or more recently from May 2018 here.

Why not use a checklist? Too proud? Might show that you are fallible to your peers? Takes too long? Too complicated? Surgeons use checklists to make sure they are amputating the correct limb! Fast jet pilots use checklists for things as simple as making sure the ejection seat pins are removed before getting airborne! The weird thing is that until the culture is established, then the mindset is 'checklists are for other people because they are fallible. But I am not like that.'

So What?

We cannot prevent all human error from occurring. However, by designed and deploying checklists which are fit for purpose (and not just liability limiting tools) then we can purposely slow divers down to ensure that critical information is passed on and equipment configurations are set the way they should be to support life. The problem with errors of omission (lapses), by definition we don't know we've missed a critical step. Checklists come in different shapes and sizes, but the ones I am talking about are approximately 5 steps long, completed immediately prior to getting in the water to ensure that your life support equipment will indeed provide life support.

===============================
QuRe3wR3C6URP8gwwx1A_THD-Bio-Small-Square.jpg

Gareth Lock is the owner of The Human Diver, a training and coaching company focused on teaching and developing divers, instructors and related teams to be high-performing. If you'd like to deepen your diving experience, consider taking the online introduction course which will change your attitude towards diving because safety is your perception, visit the website.

Forthcoming dates and conferences are below

GgA0JtiBTriV6Kg7ihEI_Where_in_the_World_4_.png

I was at a "try dive" event a few years ago where a fairly infamous rebreather diver gave a talk, it might have been impromptu, about how important lists were. I then watched him set up his rebreather without a list. I can't remember the lame excuse, but "I've got it memorized", "I'm an instructor", or any number of ego driven drivel is what probably came out.

As a mechanic of thirty years, I had to develop strategies to allow me to dismantle complex systems, analyze them and then reassemble them with unerring accuracy. We had no universal checklists for brakes, carburetors and frankly many of us failed from time to time. Usually we towed our failures back to the shop, but we don't have that convenience out in the ocean.

Currently, I don't use a checklist on my rebreather. Why? No one has seemed to come up with one that I like and think is appropriate for my SF2. I have decided that with the inexpensive printing on plastic slates, that I need to do this. It needs to be terse, accurate, quick to do AND PAINLESS! I think that all of us thinking together can come up with something that even the guy who talks the talk, but won't walk the walk will even use.

... However, by designed and deploying checklists....
I've seen the whiteboard CCR checklists. With dive computer manufacturers putting all kinds of user uploadable picts, etc on their DC's,,I've often wondered why they don't introduce user uploadable checklists for open circuit. Or maybe I missed something already on the marketplace.

No one has seemed to come up with one that I like and think is appropriate for my SF2. I have decided that with the inexpensive printing on plastic slates, that I need to do this. It needs to be terse, accurate, quick to do AND PAINLESS! I think that all of us thinking together can come up with something that even the guy who talks the talk, but won't walk the walk will even use.

I'm interested. I have the one that I got from Draker when I did my crossover, but I'd be curious to see what other people come up with.

The Meg build checklist was mind-numbing, and my instructor did it all then filled it out afterwards, so naturally I copied. Great for building the unit, never used after they went in the truck and to the cenotes. No pre-dive checklist or anything. If you turned the unit off to put it in the truck, there's nothing reminding you to turn it back on, do a pos and neg, etc.

I like the little pre-jump cards, but they're only useful to the unit they're designed for. I like the little stick-on idea from another thread, but again, some apply to me, some don't.

Aviation has near very close to 100% check list compliance. But check lists are built into the industry from basic pilot training all the way up to training captain for the airlines or test pilot for the military. Even a basic private pilot will often spend more time on checklists alone than I think I spent total training for OWD, in fact they are drilled into you to the point that passed out drunk at a party you can go successfully through an engine out checklist (not kidding seen it first hand). Pass every other measure of the check flight, but if the examiner (often a third party, sometimes from the FAA) doesn't see you break out a checklist you will fail.

As you can see that is a totally different mindset than most dive training, and likely different from how medicine is taught (based on my observations as a patient). You want checklist compliance you have to start from the bottom, while brow beating the top as much as you can.

I think this should be clarified that it really applies more to technical diving. The idea of a check list in recreational diving is bit silly. The pre-dive check list is pretty much "is my gas turned on?"
I beg to differ, even in recreational diving there is more to check, what good is a tank with an open valve if there is only 100 psi in it? A dry suit that is not connected, a BCD that is leaking?

Again...not telling anyone else what to do but explaining what I do...

I dive exclusively with a rebreather...

I developed a formal...computer generated...paper document checklist that lives in multiple copies in...a duo-tang note book...in my...you guessed it...Rebreather Checklist Booklet...and I actually write on it...item by item...

This document was created by me for my exclusive use based upon my specific needs...

I originally had documents that were prepared by rebreather manufacturers and cherry picked items I needed and set them up in a preferred order based on my assembly/unit proofing procedure...

The document works as intended...helps keep the dives flawless and gets me back on the boat post dive...

It also provides me with a post-dive reference...and a ''special notes'' place at the bottom of the document where I can ad any post dive notes...or reminders that need to be added into my prep for the next dive...

Partly because of the rebreather...I prepare the unit and everything else a day ahead...at home...usually spend four hours...excessive to most but that's what I do...

I've seen divers putting rebreathers together in the weeds behind the car along the side of the road ten minutes before the boat leaves the dock...and then complain all the way back to the dock that the unit leaked and their morning/afternoon was spoiled...any wonder...

And finally to the recreational diver who said...what do I have to check other than whether my tank valve is open...everything you're jumping into the water with needs to be checked...it's a quick...startling trip to the bottom if your inflator hose is not connected and your BCD is not inflated...even more startling if that un-connected inflator hose is tangled and un-reachable to re-connect...

We haven't even touched on the checklist when you pack...so you don't show up on the dive boat saying...Oh Oh...I forgot my fins...or my hood...or my gloves...or my........

Dive Safe...

Warren

I love checklists! but I've also worked with people that have a particularly organized brain who can follow a series of steps repeatedly without mistakes.
For me it is way easier to rely on checklists, specially if there's a chance to get interrupted, the list allows you to pick up exactly where you stop without having to backtrack.
Now the checklist HAS to be organized, logic and with the precise level of detail that fits the user.
Some people may need:
  • first stage
  • LP hoses
  • HP hose
  • main 2nd stage
  • other 2nd stage
  • gauges
For others is enough to have:
  • regulator
Also I consider checklists to be live documents that need to be reviewed and edited based on how effective/obsolete they become.

I'm interested. I have the one that I got from Draker when I did my crossover,
If it's for the SF2, please send me a copy. A pic will work.
I beg to differ,
I would love to see your printed checklist for rec diving.
I originally had documents that were prepared by rebreather manufacturers and cherry picked items I needed and set them up in a preferred order based on my assembly/unit proofing procedure...
My first training (Revo) the check list was supposed to be attached to the unit. There was a Hitler joke about why it had been removed. When I crossed to the KISS, it was thoroughly taught, but the checklist was painful and missed a few items (no, I don't remember what they were). When I crossed to the SF2, the instructrions were still being translated and checklists were being developed. I've only made one serious omission and figured that out PDQ in the water. I would like an easy checklist.

Back
Top Bottom