Chewed up and spit out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Writing this up because I've been dry a week now and miss diving.

Not exactly a near miss, but I did call the dive and was glad to be back to shore. Perhaps some learning value in it too. Not a typical OW recreational dive scenario, but it's still diving.

Maybe illustrate how failures cascade, and the need to prioritize problem solving gets challenging when a dive goes bad.... Also, the best time to call a dive is safely in ambient air.

Surf entry.
Two al80s, sidemounted.
Gavin sized scooter.
~1ft viz.

Site location I'd only dove 11 times previously. Marginally bigger waves that day.

Gear up waist deep behind a breakwater. Scooter clipped off behind, get negative and claw my way along the bottom under the breakers, working with the rhythm of the waves. Sand and sediment thick in the water. Low viz, navigating across the wave pattern. Once I reach 6ft deep I switch to my scooter to move away from the rocky bottom (no gloves). Keeping low due to surfers above me.

At 8ft deep the surge gets bad, whitewater right to the bottom. Mask flooding twice as I almost lose it, saved by my strap under my hood with the mask up on my forehead (crossed my mind at that moment I was a distressed diver with my MOF!!! ...a first). Scooter prop fouling. Off the trigger, free the prop by feel (can't see, water dark), getting washing machine churned by a bad wave, disoriented, next wave in the set was better and I start back out. Mask gets pulled off again.

One hand holding the mask to my face, other on the scooter. All good. Scooter starts to foul. Trigger jammed by sand, can't turn it off. Feel my way down the shaft, find the rotory magnet, can torque it sufficiently to rotate it to off position (avoid the prop, hurrah). Mask meanwhile has flooded but still on my face, partial handsfree clear, but still low viz, not able to see my compass to get my bearing.

Sucking in to add suction to keep my mask in place, inhale some water. Next wave rolls me (Once? Twice?). I had drifted broadside to the breakers. Caugh out the salt water and figure out which way is up.

On the bottom now, found a hollow to tuck into for shelter to reorient myself and work the trigger clean on the scooter.

Start out again. Reach 12ft deep, surge worse. Call the dive. Scooter fouls. Trigger jammed (again). This is when my reg starts freeflowing. Both hands occupied by the scooter. Loose lip breathing letting the freeflow blow past while sipping. Get the scooter shut off. Switch to my second tank. Valve shutdown, smack the freeflowing reg a few times, fixed, switch back. (Gotta love a conshelf)

Scooter held under me as a skid plate, other hand in front in case of outcroppings, heading back to shore.

Return uneventful.

Questions welcome, pull whatever learning value out of it as you would like.

My biggest takeaway was my unwillingness to call the dive. "The best way out, is through" doesn't always apply. I had expected the conditions to be slightly worse than before, but didn't realize there was a threshold I needed to respect. I also noted the number of simultaneous issues that happened within seconds.

Cameron

Whew, I got short of breathe just reading this. I'm glad you didn't panic, relied on your extensive skills, and came out of a bad situation alive. Thanks for sharing!

Everyone's different, I use the rule of '3 & Done' when to abort.
I'll bet getting ' Turtled ' wasn't fun,,,but you came out of it alright and congrats to not panicking. Most diver's would have panicked in those events and we all know panic kills.Nice job and thanks for sharing some lessons for divers to learn from.

Everyone's different, I use the rule of '3 & Done' when to abort.
I'll bet getting ' Turtled ' wasn't fun,,,but you came out of it alright and congrats to not panicking. Most diver's would have panicked in those events and we all know panic kills.Nice job and thanks for sharing some lessons for divers to learn from.

Care to elaborate on "3' and done", a quick search didn't enlighten me. Sounds like a good one.

Completely agree, panic kills.

If three things have gone awry, then thumb it.

Ah that one! Yes, would be good.

That would have had me call the dive at the point I took shelter. Scooter prop fouled, mask off and not sure which way was up would have been three. Not a bad time to go home in hindsight.

Cameron

Thanks for posting and value your experience which is what saved you from any danger beyond the crap you were going through. I like the three and done rule! I've used it in the air as well...if I cant see the runway on the third approach, I'm going to my alternate! No questions asked!

Back
Top Bottom