Chicago-Bound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jashanley

Registered
Reaction score
I am moving to Chicago this June and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good diving outfit/LDS in the area. I will be living in the Lincoln Park area for those of you familiar with the city. I would like to remain active with diving, and possibly continue to take courses, despite being in the center of the country. The nice thing is.....there is a beautiful (but cold) lake available for diving......anyone recommend it? Thanks for the input.

As a Chicago resident, I will tell you that there are plenty of ops to dive here. I am a new diver, and am anxious to explore Lake Michigan this summer. There are hundreds of wrecks along the coast. I live downtown in the River West area. I am yet to find anyone interested in venturing into the cold water with me, so let me know if you need a dive buddy. My wife gets cold in 88 degree water, so I know she is out of the question.

Also, there is a great dive shop, Adventures in Scuba , that has classes and a pool....

Welcome to the city!

Jeff Tyler:confined:

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll have a ton of time this summer to dive lake michigan, but someday I'd like to try it. I'm starting my medical residency there and won't have a ton of time, or any for that matter. But I'll definitely check out Adventures in Scuba and I'll keep you in mind for a cold water dive buddy. My fiance is not much of a cold water diver herself. We dove Jamestown RI for our open waters and she desperately wanted to quit after being in the 44 degree water. She changed her mind after traveling to the Bahamas and diving there. Thank god.
-j :diver:

to PM Natasha or wait a few days and she will probably get to your post.

Natasha is our resident travel guru and planner of such outstanding board events as Wreckmania and the Singles Trip but she is also a Chicago resident and is very in tune with the diving community there.

Hope that helps from a midwestern girl a little more west!

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Welcome in advance to the Midwest. While I am not from Chicago I am from northern Illinois. There are a few quarries to dive in within a reasonable distance from you, and of course Lake Michigan. As far as Dive Shops...I have been to many across the US and to be honest the best one I have been to is not far from Chicago. It is in Rockford Illinois and it is called Forest City Scuba. There are a few shops 2 hours closer to me but I take my business there, not for the price but for the quality that I get there in everything, from conversation, repair work to education. I would highly recommend them for continuing education. They can train you from open water to Trimix or rebreathers.

I hope this is of use to you.

Tom

I live in the suburbs of Chicago & have never dove in Lake Michigan. I do all my diving on vacation, in warn climates. I've heard there are tons of wrecks & it is a must see. Since the lake is less than a hour from me, it seems like a waste not to take advantage. I do have a few questions. How is visibility & what is the warmest water temp I can expect. I'd probably dive in August, when the air temp is around 90 degrees.

Originally posted by Kat
I live in the suburbs of Chicago & have never dove in Lake Michigan. I do all my diving on vacation, in warn climates. I've heard there are tons of wrecks & it is a must see. Since the lake is less than a hour from me, it seems like a waste not to take advantage. I do have a few questions. How is visibility & what is the warmest water temp I can expect. I'd probably dive in August, when the air temp is around 90 degrees.

You have heard correctly there are a lot of wrecks in the Great Lakes. They are different than wrecks in the Ocean in the fact that they are not covered with coral. The cold water has preserved them very well and they are for the most part just as they were when they went down.

The water temp in the lakes is generally considered cold (surface temp in August can be 65-70 temp at depth will be considerable colder around 40). Most people that dive in them frequently dive a dry suit, however it is possible to dive wet.

The vis can vary from near zero to 100' plus. The southern part of Lake Michigan is not known for great vis, it could be up to 40' max but I would expect less than that. The better vis is in Lake Superior.

Jashanley,

That's wierd, I know a "J. Shanley" here in CT. He's a divemaster at the LDS I teach at. We've done OWs at Jamestown, RI. He's also in the medical field. He's also prolly about twice your age. Hmmmm. I wonder if there's a connection. :wink:

Thanks for some great info HDrider. I'm a warm water wimp, but with this great diving opportunity in my backyard, I'm going to give it a try. (In the summer, when its 90 degrees out) Although the way the weathers going here, I'm not sure we will ever get out of the 60's.

Could be..............if you frequent the Scuba Shack...........he's my dad. -j

Back
Top Bottom