Chicago-Bound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have your gear, you can call Chicago Dive Charter - 312-842-1480 - it is a dive boat and he can take you out for some Lake Michigan diving

enjoy

Reefraff:
Can you give me more info on the Chess pavillion dive. Do we need a permit if we have our own tanks and equipment?
Also HDrider:
Thanks for being our special guest at Wreckmania.
It was very nice to meet you.

Located downtown along Chicago's Gold Coast, the Chess Pavillion lies between the beaches at North Avenue and Oak Street and marks a truly unusual dive site.

The water portion of this dive is nothing special and there are very substantial logistical problems that must be dealt with. The whole point to this "been there, done that" dive is the opportunity to hop in the water literally in the shadows of the busiest and most exclusive residential high-rise neighborhood in the city. It's got great views, the people watching is terrific and you'll draw a lot of attention. It's quite a hoot, actually.

In no particular order, here are some suggestions:
  • Bring a smile and a pleasant attitude. There is a lot of bureaucratic tomfoolery that must be dealt with and schmoozing nicely helps a lot.
  • Bring all the gear that you need, including a float and a diver-down flag, but nothing that you won't take in the water with you. If you leave something on shore while you dive, there's a good chance that it will grow legs before you surface.
  • Bring your drivers license and certification cards with you. Make at least three copies of each to hand out to the lifeguards - it will save you and them time. They rarely ask for logs, but be prepared. Ask the lifeguards for suggestions - they actually know something about what you're trying to do (you aren't the first, after all) and it establishes your credibility as a responsible and interested individual worthy of their cooperation.
  • Arrive EARLY and try to park in the lot at the North Avenue Beach. It's the closest place, but you will still have to hike (with all your gear) for at least a quarter mile to the site. If you can't get a space there, Plan B is problematic.
  • Check in with the lifeguard office at the North Avenue Beach before you unload your gear from your car. They will want your information, but they will probably send you to the lifeguard station at Oak Street, about 1/2 mile away. IT's a PITA, but it's what normally happens. YOU MUST CHECK IN WITH THE LIFEGUARDS (NOT THE POLICE) BEFORE DIVING.
  • Be prepared for a shallow dive (less than 30') with limited visibility. Entries are made by giant stride (semi-dangerous because it can be a long drop into very shallow water) off the quay or by climbing down one of several ladders set into the quay wall. Exits require the ladders, so make certain that you know where they are located before you get wet.
  • The chop can get pretty ferocious, especially as the day progresses. Another reason to arrive early.
  • Bring a disposable underwater camera. You probably won't encounter much underwater worth taking a picture of, but the looks on some of the gawkers faces when they see you climb up out of the water in full gear is absolutely priceless. Be sure to get a shot of your team all geared up with the city skyline in the background. Speaking of team, you must have a buddy.
  • This is a really busy area. There is so much traffic on the sidewalk that they've had to paint traffic lanes on it. There is room off the main drag to gear up, but take it easy getting to and from the parking lot and don't spoil things by getting into a collision with the bikers and rollerbladers.
  • Be prepared for fishing line in the water. A pair of EMT shears is a good idea.

Have fun! It's one of the wackier dives I've ever done and can be a great time, even if the diving isn't all that spectacular.

Steven

Steven:
Thanks for the great informantion.
I live 30 minutes from the Chess Pavillion. I never knew we could dive there. I've never seen any divers do this. You're right it would be such a hoot. I have been on this strip of beach with my bike and my roller blades several times. But never as a diver.
The only part I'm not sure I can do is the walk with all the gear on.
But if you are ever up for doing the whole thing again I would definatly come up to meet you and watch. Maybe after that I would consider taking it on myself. August has to be the best month, don't you think?
PS The pictures would be priceless. As you said this is a very active part of town. Can you scan any of yours?

Natasha,

My wife Christy and I dove Chess a few weeks ago for the first time and had some fun. It surely is an odd location to dive. We must thank Reefraff again for some excellent coaching preceeding our adventure. The exit and entry are really not too bad, I usually help my wife by walking her gear out if needed. We are always looking for new scuba buddies and would dive it with you if you would like. Just drop me a line.

Eric

Eric:
Sounds great. I'd love to talk on the phone and maybe get together to meet you two.
We should try to get a Chicago 'get together' going ..don't you think?

A Great idea. As some of you know, Chicago is about to gain a new wreck dive site...maybe we can set something up to spend a couple of hours working on our next dive site and then adjourn to partake in potables and swap lies...

Straits of Mackinac

The Straits of Mackinac was originally built for the Michigan State Highway Department in 1928 to ferry automobiles between the state’s upper and lower peninsulas. The 196-foot steel vessel ran between Mackinaw City and St. Ignace until the Mackinaw Bridge opened in 1957. The Straits Transit Co. bought the ship in 1959 and used it to transport passengers and cargo to Mackinaw Island. In 1968 the Peterson Builders of Sturgeon Bay, Wis., bought the aging ferry, partially dismantled it, and used it as a floating storage warehouse. In 1996 the ship was sold to a private investor who moved it to the Kewaunee harbor, about 30 miles south of Sturgeon Bay. Within the past few weeks, the vessel has been moved to Chicago, where it is being cleaned, safed and prepared for the noble fate of being sunk later this Fall.

The vessel originally had two decks for carrying automobiles. Elevators at the Mackinaw City and St. Ignace docks lifted vehicles to the upper deck. Both elevators were shut down after a woman was killed during the loading or unloading of vehicles. In later years the second deck was removed just a few feet forward of the pilot house, leaving the entire bow section of the main deck open to the weather. The vessel’s original 1100-horsepower, coal-fired, triple-expansion steam engine remains intact.

It would be a terrific chance to get acquainted and to get familiar with our next dive site before it becomes one!

Steven

Sounds like a GREAT idea. You name the place and time and let's see if it will work for anyone that wants to come.
Maybe we could even get some of the Kentucky group up here.
I'm pretty free most of August. I have the September Bonaire trip on the 14th to the 21st. But the rest of the month is open.
Sound possible?

Sounds like people are looking to get together in Chicago soon. My daughters and I were certified in June and we are working on getting my wife certified this month. We do have some commitments during August, but if there is room for more, we would be interested in meeting other local divers.

S

I'll try to get some more information from the powers that be about how to sign up for a cleanup session on the boat - and what dates they may have available. It's supposedly in the South Branch of the Chicago River, just south of downtown.

This will be a good time...

Steven

Back
Top Bottom