Chicago Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
I need some info on where to shore dive in Chicago. Is there diving off of Evenston Beach? I know that the sights will not be stellar, but winter was too long and I have ti dive now! Anu and all suggestions would be appreciated. I am also looking for the budget advantage of just getting wet cheap. Let me know.

I know there is some public access diving available in Chicago or in the area. Any advice on location, parking, or general tips would be great.

Not much in the way of shore diving. All the city control access is off limits to divers. I did read of one spot but I don't remember where I read it. If I can think of it I'll look it up.

Can you recommend any dive boats in Chicago? I'll be there for a wedding next week and am looking for some good local wrecks. Not Milwaukee. It's too far. My sister would send her goons to drag me back (and disrupt yet another wedding with a dive adventure).

Originally posted by DivePartner1
Can you recommend any dive boats in Chicago? I'll be there for a wedding next week and am looking for some good local wrecks. Not Milwaukee. It's too far. My sister would send her goons to drag me back (and disrupt yet another wedding with a dive adventure).

Eric - I "borrowed" this from another post - hope it's not too late

Chicago Dive Charters (Burnham Harbor) 312-842-1480
Discovery Dive Charters (Burnham Harbor) 815-786-1337
Enterprise Marine (Waukegan Harbor) 847-520-4689
Shipwreck Adventures (Winthrop Harbor) 815-222-3069
The Lender (Milwaukee) 414-482-1430

It might also work to call the local dive shops - they often have seats on trips that they charter still available or you can talk to the boats about standby seats.

I dive with Hank (Chicago dive charters) once in a while and we also dive with Dale (Enterprise marine) I have dove with others but I would have to look at my log to see who. Chicago Dive Dharters is goog for the shallower stuff near Chicago. For the deeper or tech stuff go with Enterprise marine.

If you're willing to drive to Kanakee IL. ( It's 45 minutes south of the city) you can shore dive the quarry there. It's a pretty nice place.. you can camp, picnic, and be out in the country a bit.
Check it out.
http://www.haighquarry.com/

Natasha,

I agree, Haigh is a great training spot. I was there last Saturdayand Sunday. Diving the quarry walls are very serene. They also just sunk an old army truck in about 52 feet. At depth it was a bit cold at around 51 degrees. The grounds are very nice and with the 90 foot max depth it has something for everyone. Kind of like Great America for us local divers!

Glad you enjoyed it. Both of my boys did their open water there. We'll probably try to go again sometime in August before my son goes off to college. I'll let you know.

:sunny:

Back
Top Bottom