children under 15 and nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Duke Dive Medicine , where do you think the hesitation to allow youngsters to dive nitrox came from originally?

Sounds oddly similar to the arguments against voodoo gas useage by recreational divers back in the day
Newer divers may not recognize the dramatic changes in thinking on nitrox that have occurred in the last couple decades.

In its earliest days, nitrox was considered to be too dangerous for ANYONE except the most highly trained divers. Back in the mid 1990's, the Dive Equipment & Marketing Association (DEMA) would not allow any presentations on nitrox at its annual convention. Several agencies were created with the purpose of teaching nitrox diving (for example, The International Association of Nitrox and Technical divers--IANTD), since the main agencies (like PADI) would have nothing to do with it.

Not long after that, the mainstream agencies decided to allow it, but the requirements for certification were very strict. To get my nitrox certification, I had to take a thorough course with a 50 question exam filled with all sorts of math problems and formulas. I had to do two dives to demonstrate that I had the advanced skill required to keep from going deeper than the maximum operating depth of the gas I was breathing. (That was pretty easy, considering the water wasn't that deep and I didn't have a shovel.) the biggest thing I took away from that tough class was that there was no reason for it to be that tough. I thought most of it was totally unnecessary.

Well, my takeaway from that class was apparently pretty much everyone's takeaway. Nitrox classes are now only a fragment of what they used to be, and OW students have long been allowed in some agencies to get certified for nitrox with their OW class. Requirements for nitrox certification have changed over the years, but they still are not where they should be in terms of current thinking.

This thread started in 2004, when the great fear of nitrox was still running strong. You can see how thinking has changed by reading it all. the rules for younger divers are probably a holdover without a sound basis.

Last edited:
FWIW, my NAUI instructor gave me and my then 12yo daughter the NITROX course last year (summer 2016), and never seemed to bat an eye at her age. I suppose it's fair to say he had already evaluated her ability and maturity level before offering us the course (same instructor for OW & AOW). The NITROX course was fairly thorough, some math, and a 50 question open book test at the end. Proud to say my 12 year old was offering more correct and productive responses during class than the two 20-something yahooligans that were in that class on mom's dime. Age isn't everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom