China Airlines To Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We have a group of divers headed to Palau at the end of January and we are starting to look at flight options. China Airlines seems to have a really good deal and the flight times are decent. Right now they have a one stop flight from LAX to ROR stopping over in TPE for several hours for less than $1000 r/t.

Anyone had any experience on this flight/route they care to share?

I flew China Airlines to Palau a year ago. I thought the flights were fine, the food was good, the service was great and the flights were on time. The only downside I saw was the long layover in Taipei, but they had free WiFi in the airport and I had a book with me. I'll be returning to Palau probably in October and again next spring and I'll most likely fly with them again.

Thanks Dr. Bill. I think they have the best schedule going to Palau so I will likely use them and the price is right. Was it one of their newer planes?

Always amazing when flying a longer route is cheaper. I'm sure the $2K+ price on United has killed a lot of trips to Palau. A 12 hour flight compared to 6 hour is night and day in coach. 2 flights stuffed in a bulkhead seat (that means no legroom and static seats arms) on 11 hour flights taught me that 8 hours is about my max before I start going crazy.

Thanks Dr. Bill. I think they have the best schedule going to Palau so I will likely use them and the price is right. Was it one of their newer planes?

I don't remember for sure but think it may have been a 777

OK Thanks!

So I ended up booking with China Airlines. They are flying one of their new planes which has three classes of service. First/Business, Premium Economy, and Economy. The Economy fare was $943 r/t and the Premium Economy was $1443 r/t. I opted for the PE for the following reasons:

1. The seats are two inches wider than economy and you get a few extra perks like early boarding, better food selection, and a couple of other minor things like a big/wide armrest between seats so you don't have to fight over who gets the armrest.
2. If you book PE and the second leg of your journey doesn't have that class of seating, they bump you to first class as long as there are seats left in first. I booked early enough to get first on the second flight.
3. And because I will have a first class ticket from Taipei to Palau, I will have access to China Airlines Premium Lounge during the 7 hour layover in Taipei.

Overall, looking at schedules and prices of the various airlines, China Airlines offered the best deal by far. I will plan to report back after my trip to let everyone know how the flight experience went.

Back
Top Bottom