Chinese diving equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the notice flyboy08.

Who was the vendor?

We can a lesson from your experience.
AliExpress

Reactions: mdb
I have real tempered glass in masks with myopia lenses from Ali express, around 22 dollar. And they are good, have already been with such a mask to 420 ft. You have to read well what you order, sometimes the masks are made of plastic, acrylic, and other times there is written really 'glass'. And if they sent you a wrong one, open a dispute and put pictures in it and you will get your money back. Had that with a mask I ordered with myopia and got a normal one.

That's the thing, though: you buy 3 drysuits for half the price of a santi, you may get one that lasts you 900 dives, or not. You may get one with the zipper put in back-asswards, and one military surplus biohazard suit, you never know. With santi, you know you get a santi suit and you know 900 dives later santi will replace the zipper on it. I'm OK buying a pig in a poke when it's a $10 fleebay flashlight because it's only $10 and I have some idea what flashlights are like. A mask for $20? -- I'd rather pay $40 for a mako knowing it will not be acrylic, the polymer will not turn into black ooze after a year, and Dano will take it back if it leaks on me.

With the masks you have to read well. In some there is written plastic if you need myopia. Others state that it is real tempered glass. I have ordered the ones where is stated tempered glass, so no problems. If they then sent you plastic, it is easy to open a dispute. For lies Ali Express is really good, I always got my money back. So read all well, order then.
here an example:
Yoogan bijziendheid lens snorkel set Zwart siliconen gehard lens duiken masker droog snorkel optische duiken set voor bijziend in Yoogan bijziendheid lens snorkel set Zwart siliconen gehard lens duiken masker droog snorkel optische duiken set voor bijziend van Duiken Maskers op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep

They state if you buy myopia lenses, you do not get tempered glass. And I think Polycarbonate will work too, but never tried.

My backuplights from China are the same as for example Scubaforce sells, EXACTLY the same.
ScubaForce Power Light

The powerlight 2 is crap, I have never tried them, but 2 cave students had them in a course and on the first dive 2 failed (out of the 4 they had bought). The big Powerlight is really good, my first one has now been 23 times over 330ft, not flooded, still working well. You can buy it in China for 25-40 euro, instead of 99 euro they cost here (rebranded like Ledduiklampen.nl, Divenology, Scubaforce, etc).

Based on experience of motorcycles and things like dash cams and model helicopters etc chinese quality is variable and at times very poor. For example I have a Chinese made compactor plate with a replica Honda engine. The engine smoked from new, a few bolts vibrated out and the fuel cap leaks. It only cost a fraction of the price of a genuine Wacker and despite its faults I am happy with it and its still working after 10 years light / intermittent use. But would you want even a single fault on diving gear 100 ft down?

I've bought some tools made in China and thought they were every bit as good as USA made at a fraction of the price. I bought a couple of generators that had engines identical to Honda GX engines and performed great and lasted a long time. However, I noticed that anything made of rubber fell apart in a very short time. I would not buy a Chinese regulator or anything where my well-being or fun-for-the-day might be compromised by prematurely deteriorating rubber. Wetsuits seem to be an exception.

Back
Top Bottom