Chinese Vastfire Video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, the bigger the fabrication from reality, the worse the product.

I did not see the [selection]. The page popped up with that $8.25 came up which looked beyond ridiculous, thus my extreme skepticism.
At $110 it approached the realm of plausible and functional for bargain basement stuff. I still consider it a crap shoot. IMO you would be better off with something like a pair of those Archerons. They at least have been tried while diving and found to work. Thought about getting one for myself as a focus light but I'll probably just replace the batteries in my Sola.

We're talking 16' max depth on the housing and in the Caribbean right?

I don't think lights popping will be an issue at that depth...lol.

A red filter at that depth will turn everything yellow which is extremely hard to clean up in post-processing. Better to shoot with no filter, Plus your camera has an underwater mode built-in. It sort of pushes the reds a little if it's like my buddy's Canon - takes out some of the blue.

Personally I like the blue as it's how I remember shallow water looks in the greater Carib.
I'm assuming he has the Sony housing: Sony Underwater Housing For Action Cam.

I don't know THAT light but I can guarantee you the specs are grossly exaggerated. 12K lumens :shocked:. If it doesn't flood AND those are truly XM-L2 (which I SERIOUSLY doubt), it .....might....put out 1200.
In general pretty much anything the Chines sell that is named ***Fire is junk. The batteries certainly will be. You can only buy 1-2 decent 18650 for that price. They are selling 4x18650, plus charger, PLUS a watertight light for $8.25!!!!! Naw, can't be done. A reasonably decent charger for 4 batteries will set you back $20.

OTOH, what you have to lose for that price. Go for it!!!! Report back. :bounce: :rofl3:
But don't make it the lighting 'backbone' of an important dive trip. :D :coffee: :popcorn: Seriously, don't do THAT.

Suggest shopping for better options. Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L is far more reasonable and functional bargain basement.
Oh man for 8 bucks I'd buy a few and just goop them up for a seal but if you look closely when you select the package you want etc.. it's over a hundred .. hence my hesitance. .. thanks for the suggestion. . And yes that is where I'm at
We're talking 16' max depth on the housing and in the Caribbean right?

I don't think lights popping will be an issue at that depth...lol.

A red filter at that depth will turn everything yellow which is extremely hard to clean up in post-processing. Better to shoot with no filter, Plus your camera has an underwater mode built-in. It sort of pushes the reds a little if it's like my buddy's Canon - takes out some of the blue.

Personally I like the blue as it's how I remember shallow water looks in the greater Carib.[/

Well I'd be at 16 on snorkel days... but ~100 on diving days... I didn't realize the camera had an underwater setting.. I'll have to look into that tonight ... I haven't used it in over a year.. but I'll have time before Cuba as it is not until march anyway... the reality is, I'll likely buy a couple of "more reliable" lights but I might just blow 100 quid on this thing and try it out... if I do .. not to worry I'll definitely post the results!

The UW setting mostly just boosts red, maybe backs off blues a bit, depends on the camera. It's semi-useful, if you don't have 'real' lighting.

I have the AS15 action cam, it needed a firmware upgrade to get the underwater mode. The underwater mode just changes the colours slightly, I used it by default. Do you have the flat port cover, that improves the image.

I don't bother with filters, the image is fine... but a video light helps a lot bringing back the colours you lose at depth, even if its pretty light like the Red Sea at ~20m... You can just see it in this vid when the camera gets close to the reef.

The light you linked to looks promising for the price but as with all ebay torches, its hit and miss as to whether it will last or work at all! Having said that, sometimes you find something that is cost effective..

I'm in the DIY camp myself :wink:

JohnohUK's Ramblings: DIY Underwater Video light for my Sony Action Cam

The batteries you get with these kits are fairly random as are the chargers, get some panasonic/xtars from a reputable dealer and a proper charger and you will get much longer run times...

The batteries you get with these kits are fairly random as are the chargers, get some panasonic/xtars from a reputable dealer and a proper charger and you will get much longer run times...[/QUOTE]

I went this route but these lights tend to flicker noticably on video.
Also flooded 2 of them due to the crappy o rings supplied... YMMV

Maybe I've been lucky, never seen flickering on video and only killed one by flooding out of the 7 cheap Chinese torches I own... all original O-rings (terrible). The achilles heal of alot of them seems to be the magnet switch.

Check out these orings :wink: Its about 4yrs old/$13/100 dives/45m max depth... flooded on a 25m fresh water dive and rinsed/dried, still works.. I can't bring myself to spend big money on lights.. (yet).

20170116_171541.jpg

I have the AS15 action cam, it needed a firmware upgrade to get the underwater mode. The underwater mode just changes the colours slightly, I used it by default. Do you have the flat port cover, that improves the image.

I don't bother with filters, the image is fine... but a video light helps a lot bringing back the colours you lose at depth, even if its pretty light like the Red Sea at ~20m... You can just see it in this vid when the camera gets close to the reef.

The light you linked to looks promising for the price but as with all ebay torches, its hit and miss as to whether it will last or work at all! Having said that, sometimes you find something that is cost effective..

The batteries you get with these kits are fairly random as are the chargers, get some panasonic/xtars from a reputable dealer and a proper charger and you will get much longer run times...

I went with two evolva technologies d02 video lights... and I might yet order the big Chinese made light... however I did not want to have to depend on it when on vaca in the Caribbean... I don't mind DYI stuff at all and looked at lots of videos for building trays etc... I might steal some of your ideas there... my issue is tinker time is a bit limited :(

I do have the dive case with the flat glass front.... only problem with it is you have to fix your settings on the surface as you cannot access the side buttons thru it... as opposed to the flat port cover alone... obviously the standard case with side buttons and the flat face port cover works fine at depths.. good to know.. thanks for sharing! I will definetly be investing in some better batteries ...and going up to the 26650's.. There is place in town with access to everything .. they'll even build batteries for anything you have... i'll either order them online or go see the boys in town

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom