Chinese Vastfire Video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a lot of the cheap Chinese knock-off stuff is simply A factory that was contracted to make a product for a name brand product and selling variants or rejects under their own branding or reverse engineering the design from a purchased brand name product. Its hard to screw up something like a milled piece of aircraft grade aluminum but plastic and nylon products may be the left over materials from last years happy meals. I bought some cases for the electronic car key fob for a car I bought used. They looked perfect, but broke within a month of normal wear. How okay are you going to be with losing a hundred bucks? If it is no big deal, buy it. I would check the o-rings before taking it into the water.

So I bought two of the evolva technologies D02 video lights.. as they had good reviews from people with many dives on them... upon receiving them one operates flawlessly.. and the other is always sending some power to the white leds unless you back off 1/8 turn on the back.. So I'll be returning that one for replacement as it would interfere with the red LEDS.... I suspect its an internal problem with the magnetic switch... so we'll see in march how they hold up to water pressure... with shipping they were 200 CDN for both to my door.... I'll post the results in April.

I bought two of the "8k" lamps with four xm-l2 LEDs and they did their job well ( at around 1:05 minute you see the lights working well on the soft corals) but they are of course far from 8k. If you search for vastfire torches you will find the vastfire which is the same lamp they sell with 2k lumen. Compared to my 2.8k lumen Schulztec, 2k seems realistic output. Now I just ordered the 12k lamp out of this topic and of course its far from 12k but it's way more light than the Schulztec offers. I guess it's around 3.5-4.5k lumens. The build quality is good to go and compared to a >500$ torch I would always pick the 100$ lamp. The red/violet light is an additional nice to have. A buddy of mine had the "8k" version down to 90 meters without flooding or disfunction. Even though the vastfire batteries seems to be no cheap stuff (I tested them and the lamp burned for 30 minutes without getting any darker before I stopped the test) but if you want additional batteries take care they are able to deliver more than 6-7 A. I ordered some Soshine 3.6 Ah (6-7A) and they are failing most of the time (lamp just blinks for a moment) because the PCB cuts off. Thus I think the lamp triggers more than 6-7 A while switching it on.

Last edited:
I've bought 4 Chinese torches and all still working well. You just need to watch the o-rings, make sure they are greased, and pretty much they are ready to go. I've only taken mine to 25m but no problems so far.

If you are only doing open water rec dives, I don't see a problem.

OK... so the evolve technology lights had no issue with function underwater.. my deepest dive was only 95 feet... that being said at 900 lumens each I must admit you have to get really close to things to light them up...2 feet away max... so I need bigger lights.. and I'll be taking a chance on the 12k lumen Chinese lights... here are screen shots from the video I took... also I'll try to upload a picture someone took of me shooting the stingray with the lights on and you'll see what mean by I need bigger lights..lol

900 lm is nothing really usefull. You need at least ~2000 lm to have a benefit from the lights.

900 lm is nothing really usefull. You need at least ~2000 lm to have a benefit from the lights.

They were as useful as you see in the photos... the Parrot fish was70 feet down and the grouper was about 60. But yes more is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom