Choices: Carbon 42, Abyss 42 or Abyss 22?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speardoggin

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be purchasing one of these regulators this week. Are they all environmentally sealed? I am not sure about the 22.

Do they all breathe the same? Does the Carbon try to float while in your mouth?

I was going to purchased a Scubapro A700/MK25, but i just don't like the idea of not being environmentally sealed. Poseiden are impossible to service and the kits are not cheap. I also like how there is less to break on the Mares regs.

My only other non Mares reg I might purchase is an Apex XTX 200

Any other pros or cons, please advise me

I will be purchasing one of these regulators this week. Are they all environmentally sealed? I am not sure about the 22.

Do they all breathe the same? Does the Carbon try to float while in your mouth?

I was going to purchased a Scubapro A700/MK25, but i just don't like the idea of not being environmentally sealed. Poseiden are impossible to service and the kits are not cheap. I also like how there is less to break on the Mares regs.

My only other non Mares reg I might purchase is an Apex XTX 200

Any other pros or cons, please advise me

The Mares regs that you are considering are all diaphragm designs. That simply means that the internal parts of the first stage are not in direct contact with the water. The spring which controls the intermediate pressure according to the surrounding water pressure is in direct contact with the water. You can add a dry sealed system to any of the Mares diaphragm first stages, but that is only needed in the most extreme cases. I use a variety of Mares regs for my diving needs and none of them have the cold water sealing systems.

I ice dive during the winter months along with other dive buddies who also use Mares regs. None of us have the first stages equipped with the devices, and we have yet to experience a free flow. I have logged literally hundreds of cold water dives (below 50 degrees), and have never had a free flow condition from any of my Mares regs.

The Carbon will not float in your mouth, as its density is greater than that of water.

Personally, if I had the $, I would own a Carbon. Paying tuition for two kids in college makes that kind of purchase tough to explain...

Of all my regs, the MR42/Proton Metal is my favorite. Any of the three considerations are excellent products. I use two of the Limited Edition Proton Metal second stages on my doubles. They are coated with a titanium PVD coating, and are very pleasing to the eye. The Proton is a bit smaller in size than that of the Carbon and Abyss. The larger bodied regs have a bit better exhaust bubble dispersion when vertically stationary in the water, such as when taking photographs. That said, it isn't a big issue with the Proton.

I personally like that the 42 first stage uses all 3/8" LP ports. The 22 uses a primary 1/2" port. All of my modern regs are set-up with a 7' long hose primary reg, and a 22-24" back-up hose. I use 2 MR12 first stages, 1 MR16, and 1 V42. It is easier for me to keep one spare 3/8" 7' hose for all the different regs. If I used a 22, then I would be forced to keep a spare 1/2" 7' hose as well.

The Apeks regs are also excellent products. I have made many dives with an older DS4/TX50. I also own and dive with a couple of Scubapro regs. They, too, are high quality designs.

Here's a picture of me following an ice dive last winter. You can see how cold the outside air was. I had only been out of the water for a couple of minutes when our surface tender took the photograph.

P1011090.jpg

You can clearly see the hose configuration that I use for my V42/Proton Metal. The V42 was the earliest version of the current MR42.

Greg

How do they breathe at depth? I plan on taking it to a max of 210 fsw on air (would be the deepest).

How do they breathe at depth? I plan on taking it to a max of 210 fsw on air (would be the deepest).

First off, and please don't take offense to this...You shouldn't be breathing air at 210fsw. The narcosis at that depth would lead to you not remembering how the reg breathed anyway. Too much can go wrong at those depths to be dealing with the narcosis. It would be similar to driving at around twice the legal limit. Personally, I will dive to 150fsw on air if I am familiar with the dive site, and if there isn't an overhead environment such as a wreck or cave. Most divers using mix will use an EAD of 100-130fsw.

As far as any of the regs' performance standards at that depth, they would still supply more gas than what you could need. The work of breathing would be higher due to the increased density of the gas. My guess based upon past testing done on ANSTI simulators, is that any of those regs would probably display an overall WOB of around 1.4-1.8j/l at a heavy work load.

Greg

I appreciate your concern.I have dove 200 fsw on 22% without too much narcosis. I wasn't on the sand that long. Narcosis seems to come on more with working and exertion at least with my experience. I have been narced worse at 132 fsw with 30% when trying to maintain against a moderate current then at 200 totally relaxed. I also believe levels of hydration to be a big factor as well. I plan on taking some tech classes for deep water and be able to mix trimix and better planned deco.

I appreciate your concern.I have dove 200 fsw on 22% without too much narcosis. I wasn't on the sand that long. Narcosis seems to come on more with working and exertion at least with my experience. I have been narced worse at 132 fsw with 30% when trying to maintain against a moderate current then at 200 totally relaxed. I also believe levels of hydration to be a big factor as well. I plan on taking some tech classes for deep water and be able to mix trimix and better planned deco.

I used to dive deep on air back when it was pretty common. We just accepted that narcosis was part of the dive. Now, with trimix training and gas widely available in the USA, it makes many divers think long and hard about it.

I forgot to mention that a reg using an appropriate trimix blend at 300fsw would breathe about the same as on air at 130fsw or thereabouts.

Greg

Try the Scubapro A700/MK17, which is a membrane first stage (as opposed to the MK25). I live in Switzerland and the cold water divers here swear by the MK17.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom