Choices, Choices, Choices.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So let me set the stage...

When I get into something (diving in this instance) I really get into it in regards to reading, thinking about, practicing, etc. I had never really read that deeply into the subject of BP/W. Enough to know that it was intriguing to me and that I would probably venture down that road eventually. Enough that I thought I understood all the all the general knowledge points. I mean how hard can it be? Actually it's closer to being a minimalist type of a mindset.

Wrong!

I come across a new Diverite Transplate harness a couple of weeks ago for a good price. "Great" I think, "time for me to go down this new and exciting way to dive for me". I just need to grab a wing and a backplate and away I will go.

WRONG AGAIN!

Steel back plate? Aluminum back plate? Crotch strap? Single tank? How easily can it be converted to sidemount? Super fabric? Baliistic nylon?(is there diving in South Central L.A.)

I thought I had read through this forum pretty extensively and the only thing I think I have learned is that there are a metric ****ton of choices and none of them are really all that wrong. Am I better just calling Diverite directly and seeing if they can walk me though the myriad of choices in specking gear? I know as sure as Christ made little apples if I do it myself then I will be wrong? Any thoughts on the matter are mucho appreciated.

Where do you dive? What exposure protection? How many lbs of weight now?
Yes to crotch strap.
Both of my DR wings are XT’s (super fabric) they pretty much claim I can’t kill it and I haven’t been able to so far.

Do you dive single tank now? If so assume that will be your first set up.

there are a metric ****ton of choices and none of them are really all that wrong

That about sums it up. You need to see it, try it on, try it out.... Adding to the challenge, is that it may not necessarily be set up correctly (for you), and because of that you think it isn't good....

We all prefer what we have, but I'm sure that it took some time to tweak it to be the way we like it...

Part of the fun!

14# now with a Sherwood bcd and 3mm wetsuit. I'm heavy on the front of the dive but seem to be about right with 700psi in an AL80.

All single tank right now and for the for the immediate future although side mount will happen but not in the next year.

Protection could go as high as 5mm. Diving anywhere that needs more than that and I will take a drysuit class but once again this is not in the immediate future.

We all prefer what we have, but I'm sure that it took some time to tweak it to be the way we like it...

Part of the fun!

I know you are right. And I know this is part of the fun and an intriguing part of it for me but geez Louise at the choices.

Dive Rite makes great stuff, but don't restrict yourself to their products. The Transplate will go on just about any backplate out there aside from the Freedom Plate.

Based on what you've said
Steel plate to shed weight. Aluminum plates IMO have very limited use. I use a DSS Kydex plate for doubles in a wetsuit, on my CCR etc, but steel almost always for single tank diving, and always with with AL80's.
Crotch strap to my is more required than the shoulder straps. If you fit it right, the shoulder straps don't do much of anything in the water aside from provide a location for the D-rings. Unless you have an extreme adonis type torso, you really need a crotch strap for a harness to fit properly and comfortably. I do prefer the 2" padded one from Dive Rite, with thick ish exposure protection, but the 1" or 1.5" with the buckle is nice too.
SuperFabric doesn't really do much for most people, not worth the money. Most all wings are ballistic nylon though, so don't have much to worry about that. @OWIC647 has some really nice wings that I prefer to the Dive Rite single tank wings. Just bought another single tank wing to compliment my Deep Sea Supply stuff since Tobin is moving.

I would not intend on using whatever single tank rig you choose for sidemount. While the Transplate harness is essentially used on the Nomad XT *which is just a Transpac*, it will be more trouble than it is worth to try to make that into a sidemount rig

Where are you located? Your profile has Atlanta, but you said Los Angeles? Or Louisiana?

Thanks for the reply @tbone1004 . All really good info and it is helping my head to slow down from the spinning it has been doing over all this information.

I am in the Atlanta area. I used the Los Angeles reference because I thought it would be funny...Apparently I was wrong...Mrs Flush likes to reiterate that pretty regularly.

Thanks for the reply @tbone1004 . All really good info and it is helping my head to slow down from the spinning it has been doing over all this information.

I am in the Atlanta area. I used the Los Angeles reference because I thought it would be funny...Apparently I was wrong...Mrs Flush likes to reiterate that pretty regularly.

let me know if you want to come up to jocassee and try some stuff out. I've got several backplates/wings that you can try as well as a couple sidemount rigs before you buy

With reference to SS, Aluminum, or Kydex bp, you might also evaluate your travel needs and weight of each type of bp. While it is true that the SS bp requires less weight when you dive, you will also be carrying that extra weight in your luggage and to/from the dive boat rather than just on the dives. With the cost of excess luggage weight on many airlines now approaching $100+, I decided a SS plate was not for me. Consequently, I went in a different direction for a bcd to meet my travel needs because I usually travel with one bag < 50#, and I take my own dive gear, minus tanks/weights.

With reference to SS, Aluminum, or Kydex bp, you might also evaluate your travel needs and weight of each type of bp. While it is true that the SS bp requires less weight when you dive, you will also be carrying that extra weight in your luggage and to/from the dive boat rather than just on the dives. With the cost of excess luggage weight on many airlines now approaching $100+, I decided a SS plate was not for me. Consequently, I went in a different direction for a bcd to meet my travel needs because I usually travel with one bag < 50#, and I take my own dive gear, minus tanks/weights.

I don't think 2-3lbs is that critical in luggage, but if you fly for the majority of your diving and are always pushing that limit, it may be

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom