Choices! Turneffe, Glover or Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Celeus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, in May, two of us will be spending a week in Belize, right after having spent a week at Coco View in Roatan. We're pretty darn excited about the trip.

We're trying to figure out what to do/where to stay in Belize. We're both avid divers, and reasonably experienced. We seem to have narrowed it down to Turneffe (Blackbird or Turnefe Island Resort), Glovers (Isla Marisol) or a liveaboard. The girlfriend isn't sure about spending a week on a boat with less privacy than she might prefer.

So the main question is this- does anyone have experience with both Glovers and Turneffe reefs? If we stay at Glovers, there is a good chance we wouldn't be able to dive Lighthouse- then again, I've heard that Glovers has as good diving as Lighthouse all on its own.

Thanks for any input!

Hi, I stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge in July. Great place. I highly recommend it.

The dive sites were 5 minutes away from the resort. The Elbow was one of my favorite dives and we dove it several times.

For an AI the food was excellent. The bungalows were very nice.

We did 3 dives a day. I would have liked to have done at least one more each day, but even doing 3 a day I'd stay with them again.

I have a few pics from the trip on my web site.

Eric

We are staying at Turneffe Lodge March 10th, 2007. I can't wait! Since we haven't been there before, I can't give an opinion. We chose the resort for the convenience of diving (looks fantastic too), positive feedback from repeat cutomers, and the privacy.

I recently met a local dive instructor that stayed at Isla Marisol. He loved it! I checked it out on the web yesterday - that's on our list now too.

I don't know much about Blackbird, but I have heard good things as well. We picked Turneffe Lodge over Blackbird, because it looked a little fancier to me.

As for the liveaboards, I am working up to it. We'll definately try a liveaboard sometime, because of the number of dives you get in one trip. However, like your girlfriend, I am not sure how I would handle reduction in privacy.

Thanks for the info! Looks like we will be doing the Peter Hughes liveaboard. She decided 25+ dives and luxury made it interesting enough. Since she is staying another week (lucky girl) she will probably head to Isla Marisol for a few days since the liveaboard won't likely make it down to Glovers.

On a liveaboard like that privacy is really not a problem. You've got your own cabin and bath, and there's enough places for people to be that you can usually have as much or little company as you want.

I checked the Turneffe Lodge website, and their package for 7 days includes only 15 boat dives plus one night dive on Thursday. Isn't it a bit too relaxed for an island with reportedly no social life or significant other attractions? What do divers do there for the rest of the day after they are through with 2 boat dives? Watch 90s movies on DVD, read Dean Koonz books on the beach?

So I'm wondering, how did that liveaboard work out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom