Choker Clip Solutions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, there is a two inch SS ring that I clip into, though you can go straight to the bungee.

I started out side mounting as a way to still go cave diving as my ankles healed. I was first shown to stretch the bungee around the valve and clip it into the BC. Well, this puts all the weight onto the rear butt plate when you are shuffling from boat/shore to the water. I use the quick link to connect the 2" ring to my BC D-Ring. I attach the bungee to the other side of the 2" ring and another quick link connects it to a D-Ring on my Hollis SMS100. The result is that the tanks are a bit higher and more out of the way than the bungee over the reg/valve. It also transfers the weight of the tanks to the upper clip when I am walking to the water and there is no chance of it slipping out when I splash. Also, I find this method a whole lot easier and quicker than the bungee around. I can't tell you how many people I have seen that strain to clip that bungee back on their BC and sometimes it slips right out of their hands. It's kind of scary. Sure, it gets easier with time, but this method is just plain easier and more robust right out of the box.

thats good. to know. i have quite a ways to go before i am ready to get into a cave. everyone i dive with is sidemount so i want to be configured similar to them. i also eventually want to do cavern/cave so i want to be proficient at sidemount well before then so i am not learning how to not die in overhead as well as learn a new configuration.

forgot to mention that i have a hollis sms100 as well, but sadly mine has not been wet yet...

Come on down to the Keys and we'll dive em together! A couple of AL80s are just fun to dive with and get all the kinks out. :D

That's on my list of awesome things to do! Im keeping my eyes open for another catalina al80 and a pair of lp85s now.

OK, I hadn't realized this, but Singer has a $12 walking foot accessory that fits my machine. Whoa, but this makes the whole job that much easier. I was wistfully looking at walking foot machines knowing that I could never, ever justify the cost. But to turn my barely adequate machine into a walking foot machine that can handle Zig-Zag for such a low cost is tremendous. It really works well to boot, making my stitches even more even and straighter. I was thinking that the requisite machinations to run this and get the timing right would be huge. They actually use the needle and have a lever that operates off of the needle's tightening screw. Is genius! :D I'm glad I got this AFTER I finished most of the sewing I needed to do. :D :D :D

OK, my turn for a dumb, possibly insulting question. NetDoc why the webbing on the cam bands at the butt connection? Is it due to needing more length because of the rear clip point position or your manly physique? I am wondering if I could or should adapt my tanks with the webbing. I am currently in the process of making some travel rigs for sidemounting with my Transpac and have been looking for 2 more tanks to convert to permanent side tanks. As soon as I figure out how to post videos of my tryouts I will. On a side note. the zip-ties you are using for the top could be improved to the ones with the stainless retainer tab in them. They will take a lot more weight and are a more secure connection. If you need some PM me and I will forward you a few to try.:coffee:

The webbing from the choker clip to the cam band serves a few functions.

• Maintains the Butterfly clip zip tied onto the tank neck in the proper orientation
  • Provides a convenient handle to manipulate the tank in the water (beats the heck out of rope)
  • Secures the hose management bungees onto the tank (So many slip off during the dive)

I should have been more specific, sorry. In post #76 bottom picture, I see a short piece of blue webbing with I think a clip attached on the lower attachment from the cam band d-ring. There-in lies my question. I understand the webs between the choker clip and the lower cam band. I also like your containment system for the bungees controlling the hoses.

Ah, the short strap and clip are for attaching the tank to the butt plate.

How have the Zip ties been holding up on the necks carrying takes around on the surface? Im gonna set my stuff up this way for the weekend to see how I like it but am curious about the zties holding. I have to make a 4 story hike down/up stairs to get to the lake, worst case I carry with the valves.

Back
Top Bottom