Choking and difficulty breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deignor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a beginner diver in an Open Water class and I had some problems in my second pool session that have me concerned. I had no problem taking off my mask and putting it back on BUT I couldn't clear it to save me. I ended up snorting and/or swallowing a lot of water, panicked, ended up on the surface- gasping for air. I could barely breathe for over a minute and when I finally inhaled it was very little air with a loud wheezing sound.
It felt like my epiglottis was covering my trachea. I have had this happen a few times on land - if I force myself to relax and not panic, I seem to be able to eventually breath normally. It usually happens when I have some kind of sugary food previously. Should have avoided the donut the instructor offered me ! Is it a laranyx spasm?
My instructor suggested a new mask with a better fit- I went ahead and got a great new mask and snorkel. I have concerns about this happening in 30 feet of water. I could ascend but I also have difficulty exhaling when it happens.
Help! I am scared about my class tomorrow.

I'm not a doctor, so this aspect of your problem is outside my area of expertise, but this type problem is common for people with no medical condition if they are not properly prepared for the underwater situation they are facing. My guess is you were nervous about the skill. You didn't really know how to preform the skill. You had no confidence in your ability to clear the mask. When things didn't go perfectly, you tried to breathe more rapidly and inhaled water because you didn't know how to breathe without a mask. Inhaling water will get almost everyone moving toward the surface at warp speed.

Since you know you've had problems breathing after eating sweets, you probably should avoid them before diving.

I'm not a doctor, so I'll leave the medical aspects up to them, and offer a suggestion.

Please, discuss your concerns with your instructor. Being nervous about new skills is not uncommon. Learning to better control your airway may help reduce your anxiety, though it may take a little time. I think a little more practice will help you relax, and make it easier for you to master this skill.

To build confidence in your mask clearing skills I suggest starting in shallow water where you can comfortably stand. Put your reg in your mouth, and don't put on your mask yet. Breathe in through your mouth, and out through your nose until you establish a comfortable rhythm.

Then kneel down, lowering your head into the water while maintaining this breathing pattern. Once you are comfortable, and blowing bubbles out through your nose, then put your mask up to your face. Continue exhaling through your nose, and your mask will begin to clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom