Choose first camera and setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been there but from what I understand, Tiger Beach is very shallow with max depths in the 15-20 ft range. This give you an almost unheard of situation for underwater photography, you might be able to get by without additional lights (strobe or video). At that depth, you should have an adequate amount of ambient light that you should be able to get an effective white balance for. This should save you both money and complexity for this trip.

Just make sure that you have your buoyancy nailed. You really don't want to be flailing around near Tigers.

Correct. My dives at Tiger Beach show me being at a depth of 19-20 feet. On a a sunny day, there’s enough natural light there that you could just use a filter or post process easily if you don’t have lights. They don’t come close enough to utilize strobes and lights when we dived it though I know some divers have gotten really close, with the exception of the lemon sharks and maybe nurse sharks when we did it.

Lights are a great alternative but they will not be as bright as a strobe fire. You can even plan it well and use the same light for video/photo as you do for night dives. If you don’t like fuss, you can have a setup like my friend. He has an Olympus TG6 in their housing then has a single strobe on a flex arm. It’s easy enough to clip off when he doesn’t want to hold it and is small enough but provides decent lighting. Get a system that works for you and gives you photos or videos you are happy with as others have stated. You can add an air lens or a wide angle lens if you want.

I have the 'wider' Backscatter .5X 120 lens; and in that shot the camera was zoomed "out". I was definitely close enough to touch Anne, the divemaster in that photo; and could probably touched the shark.

What’s everyone’s thought on the Panasonic LX10?

I have read a few people here have not been happy about it. Something about wide angle lenses. Maybe it was the options they had or was it lack of? Anyone remember? Bueller? It’s a distant memory for me right now.

There have been several posts here about LX10 vignetting heavily with wet wide lenses that worked fine on other cameras. Apparently the only lens that works reliably with it is the Nauticam WWL-1.

There have been several posts here about LX10 vignetting heavily with wet wide lenses that worked fine on other cameras. Apparently the only lens that works reliably with it is the Nauticam WWL-1.

Thank you! I knew I could rely on someone to remember.

WWL-1 is supposed to be fantastic on other cameras too but it is $$$. And heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom