Choosing an Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Live Goat started a good thread asking questions about DIR and octos (mostly wanted a clarification regarding the DIR wording).

My questions are:
  • What should we be looking at during the selection of octo's?
  • What characteristics?
  • Brand/Model recommendations?
  • Setup recommendations (hose length, bungee necklace, etc)?
  • And what are your thoughts about the inflator hose octo's (AIR 2's)?

I am of the opinion that many new buyers of gear don't realize that they do have a choice. Since they are in dizzy with all of these new "toys" they are buying, they may not be paying attention and not understand that the "default" octo that comes with their regulator may not be be up to par. So hopefully this discussion might enlighten both them and me.

Finally, would you recommend user installation of an octo, or is it better to seek the assistance of your LDS?

If you want more flexibility when DIR diving, use an integrated octo as well as a traditional one on a bungee with a 7ft hose.

Be forewarned though, not all ppl are going to like the redundancy... who knows why! And also remember not all octo's are created the same. I personally use a ScubaPro octo.

When using a pony though, I change my configuration: The integrated octo is a constant. I just throw on a Mk20/G500 onto the pony with a gauge, take off my traditional octo, and I'm back in the water.

TX Mike

Try the link below as a place to start (scubadiving.com). They provide some decent guidelines on what factors should be considered when setting up you alternate air source. This is a few years old, so the brand/model recommendations may be stale, but the overall guidelines they provide for selecting your octo are informative. See also the links for how to configure your set-up. I found it interesting that they seem to think that donating your primary has more advantages than donating your back-up (hmmm...sounds suspiciously like a DIR config....).

Anyway, check it out. My personal preference was to (1) choose my primary, and (2) choose my back-up (if at all possible) from the same company. It is often best to use an alternate air source and primary reg from the same manufacturer, due to intermediate pressure differences between manufacturers. I'm not saying brand mixing is impossible - I just feel more comfortable putting products together that were MADE to go together (especially if I start tinkering with these things myself). This also led me to look at my regulator choice with both the primary and back-up in mind (searching for a brand that had good choices for both).

My personal choice was Apeks TX-100 primary with TX-40 back-up.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/alterair/

More on DIR --

Most folks of the DIR persuasion recommend setting up your back-up with a 22" hose necklaced around your neck (hose coming from the right side) with bungee or surgical tubing. In an emergency, you donate your "long hose" primary and use the back-up for yourself. In extreme cases, the back-up can be reached without using your hands (although this requirement would be more important in technical diving).

I don't like the "Air2" type of set-ups. Although it eliminates the clutter of the extra back-up hose, I think that trying to breathe from your inflator hose and using it to control buoyancy at the same time would be somewhat tricky. Of course I say that having never tried one, so my opinion may be discounted here.

I agree about the complicated maneuvers required with an Air2. My LDS talked me into it when I purchased my gear, but now after reading this board, and talking to more local divers, I'm changing back to the old tried and true methods. Including hanging it around my neck.

My primary 2nd stage is the Zeagle 50D, so I am beginning my hunt for TX40 since it will have similar characteristics, and match up to my Zeagle/Apeks 1st stage (ordered a Zeagle DSIV, and Zeagle sent an Apeks).

Once I find/purchase the TX40, would you recommend that I take it to my LDS for installation, or do you think I can handle that?

I would say take it to the LDS or at least talk to them before doing it. As you've probably seen from my other recent posts, I bought my Apeks reg set-up last week and ended up setting up some of the hoses myself. It's not hard -- just talk to the LDS or another very experienced diver before trying it yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom