choosing drysuit for caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh the diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to start cave diving in the next year. i am trying to decide what drysuit to buy that would be able to hold up to the abuse of caves? I have been looking at deep 6's Makara drysuit. just not sure about it?

The Makara is a badass suit. I'd also look at the Scubaforce suits that @jblack sells and can be custom fit in Florida. My first choice would be an O'Three RI 2-100 though, but that's personal preference for a neoprene suit

I love my trilam but for true squeezes ive been advised that my neoprene suit will hold up better. My experience thus far leads me to believe that advice.

The Makara is a badass suit. I'd also look at the SF Tech suits that @jblack sells and can be custom fit in Florida. My first choice would be an O'Three RI 2-100 though, but that's personal preference for a neoprene suit

I have been thinking against neoprene suits due to the extra buoyancy. Are neoprene suits better for caves?

I have been thinking against neoprene suits due to the extra buoyancy. Are neoprene suits better for caves?
Ive dove my compressed neoprene a few times in sidemount only caves. Never gave me any issues. “Better” seems a matter of opinion. Trilam is easier to pack and more options for self donning. But in the water the neoprene is warm, rugged and often creates slightly less drag since it stretches and fits tighter so there are no wrinkles.

it's not "extra buoyancy", it has some inherent warmth due to the neoprene and yes the suit itself is more buoyant, but to get the same warmth with a bag, you have to have more undergarments which means more air in the bag. In diving, they're basically the same buoyancy wise. The only reason to specifically ignore them is if you have to fly to get to the caves. They take a long time to dry and are much heavier in general, so I'd avoid it if you fly to cave country.

Neoprene suits work great, not an issue in cave diving, and have been used successfully for decades. They have the advantage of being more streamlined and easier to repair.

FWIW, don't make having a drysuit a condition of taking the course. Matter of fact you want to be 100% squared away with what you use, and not add to the learning curve of a new drysuit to a class.. You may find your current exposure protection is adequate, and in the process of cave diving, and being around other cave divers, see what suit will suit your needs best.

to @karstdvr 's point, oh wise Kelly! I actually still prefer to dive wet in caves and it's very rare that I am actually in my drysuit if I can help it. Personal preference, but you can easily do 60min dives in a 3mm and a good hood, and 90min in a 7mm with a good hood *a little bit shorter if diving in Marianna where the caves are not only a couple of degrees colder, but they're also much deeper on average, so probably 60min in a 7mm*. More than long enough for most people. You may decide that you prefer to dive dry as many of my friends do, but you don't NEED a drysuit.

The Makara is a badass suit. I'd also look at the SF Tech suits that @jblack sells and can be custom fit in Florida. My first choice would be an O'Three RI 2-100 though, but that's personal preference for a neoprene suit

Jason sells the ScubaForce suits, not SF Tech. Different companies.

I've got a ScubaForce Expedition SE, it's been solid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom