Choosing our perfect diving destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Ra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

my girlfriend (25) and I (34; both SSI Advanced Adventurers with around 20 dives) are looking for a diving destination in 2020, however this is more challenging than we thought.

We have the following criteria regarding our trip:

- duration: around 3 weeks with around 7-10 diving days
- no liveaboard
- we want to see spectacular, healthy Reef, a lot of fish, maybe bigger fish. We are not really into muck diving yet.
- ideally, the accomodation should be beachfront or near a sandy beach (fine sand) with little to no rocks, so that you can swim or snorkel
- it would be nice to have interesting things to do and see besides diving during daytrips (waterfalls, ancient buildings etc.)
- we would want to stay the whole time at one place, two tops
- it would be nice to have some nightlife and cocktail bars around, but it shouldn't be a classical party destination

At first we were thinking of combining Cozumel and the Mayan Riviera, but we are also open to other options which fit our criteria.

We are not set on the time when to travel, but we think it's going to be in fall 2020.

Thank you for your help!

Red Sea. Way better than the Caribbean. Beginner friendly if you have 20 dives. Some might also suggest Bali which also checks your boxes. Both are excellent in the fall (Sept Oct)

Topside for the Red Sea (Egypt) you can see the sights of the archaeological ruins then stay at a resort and do day diving with the boats that go out. Hurghada (Marriott is excellent with a good beach and nice pool facilities. All ocean view rooms and inexpensive.) Sharm or Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib might also be a good option. If in Hurghada, stay with Marriott and dive with Voodoo Divers. They will pick you up and return you each day. Emperor Divers was OK in Port Ghalib/Marsa Alam.

At first we were thinking of combining Cozumel and the Mayan Riviera, but we are also open to other options which fit our criteria.

I enjoyed Cozumel a lot, but I'm based in the U.S., and per your profile you're operating out of Germany. Where you travel from has a big impact on what's the best option. If you decided on Cozumel and the Mayan Riviera because you noticed Cozumel gets a lot of discussion on Scuba Board, be mindful that posters here are often based in the U.S. or Canada. There are many 'international' members, too (including you, now!), but which dive destinations get the most attention is partly a product of what's convenient for the most people.

In the U.S., most workers don't get the amount of guaranteed vacation time per year I've read is common in some European places, and often find it impractical (due to cost in time and money) to take more than a week off at a time. Add to that some of us don't like long airplane rides, and have no prior experience venturing farther away than the Caribbean.

And you've got a recipe for a lot of discussions about Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, Belize, Florida... I'm not trying to dissuade you from Cozumel.

For convenience, I really enjoy Puerto Morelos, about halfway between Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. It is a working fishing town with decent dive shops, inexpensive accommodations, great food, two dollar beach beers and a lively square. The reef there is decent and pretty safe for less experienced divers, there’s a sizable wreck that’s safe, the beach is fantastic and you are less than an hour away from about a dozen easily diveable cenotes (caverns) that you can hit either for a change of pace or when it is too windy to dive the reef. Plus, it is a good jumping off point for trips to ruins in Tulum and Chechen Itza. There are also multiple resorts in the area, some decadent, some luxurious and some mid-market.

I would also pitch Bonaire. I think there is a direct KLM flight from Amsterdam and a BA flight from London, since you’re based in Europe. A lot of the diving is really forgiving and simple, and while there isn’t much beach on the island itself, there are a lot of day boats running to the fantastic beach at Klein Bonaire, and that one IS good - we’ve spent more than a few naked hours chilling there.

From Germany, I would recommend Red Sea, Maldives or Bali.

Since Bonaire got mentioned, and the OP wants sandy beach and non-diving topside things to do rather than a 'how many dives can a human being do' style vacation, I think Curacao would be a better choice of the two. Curacao Trip Research Notes and Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019 links for more.

But I still doubt the U.S./Caribbean region will be your best bet.

Richard.

You could also look at the Phillipines - a bit of juggling around routes cuts the fly time down and the diving is cheap as chips as good. Also far warmer than Germany :wink:

Thank you for all your replies.

We are currently on Bali and did some diving in Amed and Tulamben. It was quite nice, but far from the Maldives, where we have been two years ago. The Maldives had much, much nicer reefs and quite a bit more fish.

We'd like to try a new destination in 2020. The problem with the Maldives is that you can only do diving and not much else on the tiny island where you are usually based.

We are usually taking a 3 weeks vacation, so having other options besides diving is really important for us.

We have never been to the Red Sea, but I think that most people don't leave their resort and it's somewhat similar to the Maldives.

If we cross off the Maldives, South-East-Asia and the Red Sea, isn't the Caribbean the next best thing to do?
We appreciate your input alot!

Bali is probably not a good representation of the “best coral” or density of fish that Indonesia has to offer. Tulamben and Amed are more known for muck diving and the famous USAT Liberty Wreck than what you are probably looking for. I would say to leave the job of impressive coral and fish density to Komodo or even more so at Raja Ampat. Komodo would check your boxes off as far as having a nice beach to snorkel and hang out at but not Raja Ampat. You can check out the Komodo dragons on a non diving day and also check out overland points of interest.

The Philippines also has really great reefs.

Having dived extensively in Indonesia, and spent a few weeks diving resort and liveaboard in the Red Sea, a few weeks diving resort and liveaboard in the Philippines, as well as a few weeks land based in the Caribbean, the Caribbean is a very distant cry from the others. “Spectacular” and “Caribbean” do not belong in the same sentence or breath in my opinion. Many people will disagree but my guess is those that disagree may not have dived in the hot spots of the coral triangle I just mentioned above to be able to compare. I also know that at the same time, many people who have dived both will understand what I mean and am saying.

Here are some latest photos from my most recent trip to Raja Ampat as an example: Amazon Photos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom