Christiansted vs. Frederiksted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where is the better place to stay? I'm not looking for a ton of night life, but would like to enjoy a good dinner and drinks after a day of diving. Thanks.

C'sted has many more options for dining and nice outdoor bars.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but where did you end up staying? I'm looking at planning a last minute trip now and trying to decide myself.
Some pics Ive seen shows parts of the beach at Frederiksted that look fenced?

Any input at all on St. Croix is greatly appreciated!!

Troyce, "any input" would take days to type.

What is it you're looking for on your vacation?

If beaches, C'sted doesn't really have them. F'sted has lots of beach. Great for a beach vacay. Maybe not the first choice for a diving vacay. And your dining/entertainment choices are really limited there.

If something else...well I don't know what you're looking for. Beach diving? Boat diving? Bars and nightlife? Basic accomodations, or a posh resort?

Christiansted for options you can walk to. Stayed there for 6 months and had a blast. Was a nice short walk from my condo to the boardwalk, with tons of restaurants and dive shops along the way. F'sted seemed tiny by comparison, and nearly empty when I was there on non-cruise boat days. Nice diving on that end but I wouldn't stay there.

Beaches would be nice, but so would snorkeling right off shore.
I found a place just to the West of Christiansted a block or so from the H20 restaurant (if anyone is familiar).

My main concern is safety. I read that Frederiksted is a little more "sketchy". Also in some of the VRBO pics it looks like there is a chain link fence around the beach at Frederiksted.

I always go sto St John, but already have a trip planned there for the first week of May, and thought switching it up might be good.
As far as safety goes, my wife and I travel to some far off places such as Africa and Philippines, however, I want everything to be relaxing since its her birthday and not have to constantly worry about the car being broken into while we are hiking or snorkeling.

We were just in Fsted today for cruise ship day to say hi to friends who are vendors. Didn't see the chain link fence, I've lived here nearly a year and can't recall ever seeing it. Maybe it's just off the lodging you were looking at???

There is precious little to see snorkeling off the beach in Fsted, other than the pier. Not sure about snorkeling off H20 but know where it is. I'd recommend staying anywhere near Csted and getting a rental car or taxi to Cane Bay beach where snorkeling is excellent.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Just asked my partner, who has lived here since '78 and was a full-time dive professional here for years, and he says snorkeling off H20 is treacherous due to rip currents and pollution. (We also don't happen to like H20's food but you didn't ask.)

He recommends the Buccaneer or Hotel on the Cay for snorkeling off the beach. He also said there's a nice little reef off Sandcastles in Fsted.

We were planning on getting a car, main issue holiding me up booking at this point is the safety as mentioned.

Right now trying to decide between St. Croix & Puerto Rico

If you're concerned about safety, then choose something North Shore, Christiansted or one of the other places I mentioned. Fsted is indeed a bit sketchy.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Any advice on good spots and off the beaten track spots for shore diving?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom