Christopher Columbus Condos, You been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruisekingkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a week stay on island and thinking about staying at CCC. Has anyone stayed there? We are a family of 4. I'm the Lone diver in the family so GC works for everyone land and sea.

Any helpful info for first week of May 2020 would also be helpful.

I'm also thinking of doing a half day charter so I can dive and have the family hangout on the boat to kick back and relax. Possibly DiveTech or Living the Dream. Anyone have experience with half day charters?

I am planning a week stay on island and thinking about staying at CCC. Has anyone stayed there? We are a family of 4. I'm the Lone diver in the family so GC works for everyone land and sea.

Any helpful info for first week of May 2020 would also be helpful.

I'm also thinking of doing a half day charter so I can dive and have the family hangout on the boat to kick back and relax. Possibly DiveTech or Living the Dream. Anyone have experience with half day charters?

I've never stayed there but the Christopher Columbus Condos look lovely and are in a great location directly on Seven Mile Beach. They are on the northern part of 7MB, which is excellent because it is a quieter area, but you will need a rental car to get to restaurants, stores, and other activities.

The first week of May sounds great because it is after Winter, and Spring Break, and Easter which are peak travel times. Things should be less crowded and less expensive and the air and water temps will be warm. However, GC has seen a big increase in tourism and visitors ever since Hurricanes ravaged so many Caribbean islands 2 years ago, so don't wait too long to book accommodations.

There are many fine dive ops that serve the 7MB area and they will pick you up at the condo by van or by boat on the beach. You could ask the concierge at CCC for advice about dive ops and charters.

Try to plan family excursions outside the heavy periods of cruise ship visitors. There are web sites that tell you how many cruise ships and passengers are expected in port per day. The passengers are tendered into port by boats so the heaviest cruise visitor times are usually between around 10 am to 3 pm.

A very popular family excursion is Breakfast With the Rays offered by Red Sail Water Sports. I would not go anywhere near the Stingray Sandbar during heavy cruise ship times but this is an early morning sail on a big catamaran with breakfast onboard, see link below:

https://www.redsailcayman.com/daytime-sail-west#category/674

No but that would be a great place for the SB Invasion to stay. ahem... cough, cough

If your family snorkels, most of the dive ops will let them come along and snorkel around the boat while you dive (usually for a small fee). My wife and our non-diving visitors do this frequently, and it's kind of cool to look up and wave to them. Also, you are within walking distance to Cemetery Beach which is a popular snorkeling site, and usually not too crowded.

Just an idea, and not based on any personal experience, but I know that visitors to GC arrange private boat charters frequently for snorkeling, fishing, diving, sailing, dinner, cruising, etc..

When you are looking for an op to support your diving, also mention your interest in a half-day family charter to see if they can assist you. They might be willing to make a package deal if you purchase a charter and a multi-day dive package with them.

I recall that Red Sail used to offer a free Sunset Sail if you booked a dive package with them but I don't know if they still do that - but that's the idea. A dive op might offer their best price, or an extra perk, if you commit to a significant package purchased from the same op. Are any members of your family interested in a Discover Diving experience? That might also be part of the package.

Again don't wait too long to book because the dive ops will do their best to accommodate you as long as they are not already booked up with other commitments.

Also, if you are planning a major family outdoor excursion then consider booking it early in the week, so if you run into bad weather there may be time to rebook it later.

FYI, the month of May can be rainy but not always, and that is true over most areas of the Caribbean. Often it rains for awhile and then clears up and the sun comes out. And usually the winter winds calm down as you are heading into summer. Also, it is prior to the hottest air temps and before the start of the Hurricane Season. There's never any guarantee about the weather but May has potential for being great diving and a great family vacation.

It’s a lovely spot. We have many long term customers who are owners or guests who come back year after year. We pick up right on their beach so are very familiar with how it looks and if we need help tracking someone down to return property or whatever the ladies in the office are always super nice. The charter is super easy. Many of the small ops (cheaper to block book a smaller boat) do combined trips for families regularly. I think you will be delighted!

I've stayed there a number of times. Nice condos on a great, quiet section of 7MB with a beautiful pool and cabana area.
The location is conveniently close to West Bay Dock, the shore dives near NW Point as well as the Yacht Club where most of the N Wall boats leave from. With one diver and snorkelers, not sure that having them hang out on the dive boat would be the best option as most dive sites start in deeper water. Stingray City and some of the shallow dives on the west side would be exceptions. I've done a bit of snorkeling right off the condo and occasionally seen a ray or barracuda but as pointed out cemetery reef is a better bet. If the weather allows, Cobalt Coast has an excellent shore dive and reasonable snorkeling in the shallows.

There are many dive ops who do charters and I personally have used DNS and Wall to Wall and would endorse them both; but I am sure that the others all do a good job as well.

Dining on a budget can be a challenge but Lone Star, Eats, West Bay Diner, Boggy Sands Cafe, Peppers, Chicken Chicken all reasonable and good. Macabuca also has a Monday night BBQ that is fair value for good quality and quantity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom