• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Chrome Fever

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by txgoose, May 19, 2020.

1. txgoose

txgoose REEF Volunteer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have always appreciated vintage gear. I ride steel framed bicycles. I bought, cleaned, rebuilt and have been diving conshelfs almost as soon as I started diving. With other hobbies I have generally not cared for "safe queens." I always prefer to use what I have, enjoy the experience. The problem is that someone started that *(&^@! "Today's Regulator" thread.

I need to add a second to my PAAM. I put a Deep 6 reg on there for the test dives because I had it nearby. But I really think that an aqualung DH, needs a USDivers/AL second. So last night I went through my stash of conshelfs (7) and I find myself categorizing the regs by "Better not dive this one, it might be nice enough to polish out and dress up." or "Eeks, that one is a bit banged up it doesn't deserve a spot next to the PAAM." So I find myself claiming to have no conshelfs that are perfectly aged to be diveable and put on the DH, but not be gouged and banged up.

First world problems, I know. Problem of my own design, I know. I got my nomex underwear on.

(Side note, I think that I am going to try and brass black one of the more beat up conshelfs. Been pondering it since that thread a couple of years ago. This may be the impetus.)

2. Old Krakken

Old Krakken ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I agree with you on your choice for a 2nd.
    What is Brass Black?

3. txgoose

txgoose REEF Volunteer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The thread that brought it on is here. I guess you could say that brass black is analogous to aluminum anodizing or steel bluing? I don't have a glass or powder blaster so I think my route is a massive amount of vinegar and elbow grease applied judiciously to remove the chrome. Will probably just do the ring and front cover. I don't want to mess with the main body on the first go around.

4. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    as a plater I can tell you vinegar will take forever caustic soda or sulfuric was what we used or you can reverse polarity with a rectifier will do it too

AfterDark and txgoose like this.
  5. Danny D

Danny D Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Hand polishing chrome to brass is not enjoyable. Been there done that. Go abnfrog’s route if that is what you want to accomplish.

txgoose likes this.
  6. DIVER1969DOWN

DIVER1969DOWN Angel Fish

If you want I can cerakote it in a flat black or a nice yellow contact me at diver1969s@yahoo.com for details and prices or look at the website www.diverdowndhr.com

txgoose likes this.
  7. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

hey I never thought about cerakote ,,,,,,,!.I think id like a sand colored reg ..............you gave me a great idea thx

txgoose likes this.
  8. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it

When I panel beat brass regs, tap tap tap or rub rub rub with chrome on
    then to the stripper and back again, for more taps and rubs and sanding

However if you have some time, but not necessarily lots and lots of time

sealed container and only half cover your component with 100% vinegar
    and that which is exposed to vinegarised air, is stripped, submerged not.

txgoose likes this.
  9. DIVER1969DOWN

DIVER1969DOWN Angel Fish

We can do that reg for about $80 plus shipping Jerrie

abnfrog and txgoose like this.
  10. Old Krakken

Old Krakken ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    @txgoose Many thanks for showing me the (Dark Side) :D

txgoose likes this.