CHUM rigs the dives - July 18 and August 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are going out into the gulf to dive some rigs... er, platforms. Twice. If the weather gods play nice. :cool:

We will be using Captain Beard Charters for a three tank trip. There are 4 spots available for each trip. Take your choice or pick both. Your divemasters will be Earl Grey or Reefhound, to be determined. These are awesome dives and about the only saltwater dives available in Texas other than Flower Gardens. Typical sights include Atlantic spades, barracuda, jacks, lookdowns, triggers, snappers, lionfish:mad: as well as the occasional shark, dolphin, turtle or cobia. Also plenty of macro life such as gobies, blennies, and damsels. Water temperatures should be in the low 80s at the surface with maybe a slight drop to upper 70's below 30'.

Cost is $250 per diver for the trip, not including tanks or gear. Please arrange to bring all of the gear you would need for the trip as well as three tanks. Captain Beard can arrange for rental of tanks at a cost of $15/tank.

To see more info or to sign up, visit the official trip thread.

boat_back.jpg

Last edited:
One spot left for this Saturday July 18th, who wants it?

We had a forecast of 3-4 foot seas but it seemed better than that on the way out. Headed to GA-242-B about 38 miles out and found ourselves in blue water with a strong surface current. Dropping below the surface the current was considerably lighter and we were able to enjoy a free swimming stingray, cobia, butterflyfish, lookdowns, damsels, spades, snapper and barracuda. Temps were in the mid-80s F near the surface and 81F below the thermocline. After two dives at GA-242 we headed over to GA-393-B. No surface current but a lot at depth. Usual suspects plus a school of crevalle jacks. The seas laid down as we headed home resulting in a smooth, quick ride back to Surfside. A great day out on the gulf.

and

Been a while since I had been out to the Gulf Rigs and it was a bit rough on the way out. Capt. Beard made trip as comfortable as possible (good job). Dive Master (Mark) was very helpful as an old geezer like me needed his attention so I would not back roll off boat with out my fins or air in BC. LOL. Diving was great on first rig as current was very calm after 40 ft. Visibility was 56 to 60 ft. Saw lots of marine life and large fish. Little Blemies were also abundant. Lion Fish and Spade Fish were really impressive as well as a large Ray gliding though the rig legs. Scott was funny with wearing his Viking Hood and easy to find.

Second Rig was a bit different with somewhat calm surface current and deeper current was fairly strong. I had bid of trouble making from one side to other mainly due to small split fins I was wearing. Capt. pointed that out early and he was right. Still I was able to hold on to a rope tied to one leg and able to see a lot of the small marine life. Just watching the large school of bigger fish encircle the rig was impressive.

Dive was A+++ due to Capt. Beard and CHUM DM Mark. Thank you for a great time.

One more to go! Sounds like this is the season for some gulf diving. Please note the second trip has been shifted to Sunday August 2nd.

Couple of spots still available for August 2nd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom