Chuuk Lagoon Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back yesterday afternoon frorm the Odyssey.

I have only done three liveaboards, so it might not mean much when I say it was the best I have experienced, but one of our team has done many liveaboards, and she also felt it was the best. They have two framed certificates from Rodale's saying they were voted best liveaboard in the world. The rooms were very spacious, and the other accommodations were also very nice and comfortable indeed. Although there was a lot of food, I would have to say that the quality could have been a little better.

We were all first timers to Chuuk, and we were happy with the overall dive selection, based upon our research of what was available. If we had had a special request, they could have accommodated it. We had nine divers do the San Francisco Maru while the rest did another dive. It was a fine dive, and we had a lot of care and attention from the crew. We were all experienced divers, so it was pretty routine, but if anyone had had a problem, there would have been help immediately available at every point of the dive.

The crew was very good. We always had the option of having small groups led through obscure passages in deep engine rooms by knowledgeable DM's.

I am not sure of the advantage of doing 25 different wrecks in a week. Multiple dives on ships like the Shinkoku Maru were just fine with me. I would hate to have only one shot at that one or some of the other bigger ones.

They made a big deal about not taking artifacts, and we got an attention-getting story about someone who bragged on an Internet site about getting away with something after leaving. The dive shop with which he was associated is not allowed to dive with them again, and the individual will be arrested if he ever tries to enter the country again. The thing most people take is bullets, which can be easily slipped into a pocket. I don't see how having a chase boat would make that any easier to spot than getting directly onto the main vessel.

I can only speak for the Odyssey, but I would not hesitate to do it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom