Cienfuegos, Cuba and Ocho Rios dive-op recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PACKRMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We will be on the Holland America Veendam in October. I have dives booked at the other ports of call, but I'm having trouble booking these ports. Does anyone have input or experience they would like to share? I feel Cuba is a "MUST DIVE" situation. I understand Ocho Rios, but its a chance to blow bubbles.

I would really skip diving in Jamaica. Not only is the diving poor quality, a friend of my hubby tried to dive there a few months ago. His experience with the dive op was less than acceptable as far as quality of service, staff, and even though they scheduled him to dive did not ever get in water. He was put off twice (he was on a land vacation), even though he had been booked and paid in advance. When he showed up at dive shop each day, they sent him away, twice, saying oops not today. It wasn't weather related, they just didn't want to go out he thought. I am not sure how big of a fight he had to put up to get money back, but I know when he got back from trip he was pretty mad. So if you do book dives, be aware you may not get to dive....

Perhaps anwering too late, sorry in this case.

Cienfuegos is not very interesting (for diving). You'd better going a little bit more south.
On the main part of the south coast, you have a wall, sometimes at 30m from the shore (like on the road Chivirico-Santiago), sometimes at 1km from the shore, but always going to 200m deep and more.
This wall is impressive, very interesting for flora, one of the best places in the world for sponges, but you probably won't see many fishes more than 1ft... everything has been fished for long !

Back
Top Bottom