Civil Engineering and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dedward

New
Reaction score
I'm considering a career in commercial diving and I was told by someone currently in the industry that there is a demand for civil engineers who are also qualified divers. My question is whether or not employers would be just as interested in divers with an Associates degree in Civil Engineering Technology? Since the Civil Engineering Technicians work under the supervision, and in the support of, an Engineer. I haven't really been able to find anything about it online. Any information you have would be appreciated.

Do you already have a degree in Civil Engineering?

As someone who does have a degree in Civil Engineering, I'm quite interested in hearing the answer to this as well.

... mind you, my becoming a commercial diver at this point would be more than a little challenging...

combining engineering (or vocational skills) and diving is not going to result in "happily swimming around enjoying yourself diving". Remember, work is a "four letter word", and there is a reason you get paid for it. Zero viz muck diving evaluating bridge scour, dangerous overhead/entrapment, swift currents, etc. are the reality.....

One of my best friends (we got certified together in '74) went the commercial route and ultimately ended up doing sat work in the North Sea. He's retired from diving now, but went back to school to do a Masters degree in Marine Science, whatever that is.

I remember him saying years ago that any idiot can become a commercial diver, but have some useable skills are what will get you a great job. He worked with guys that were welders or millwrights or engineers... Very few of them were just flunky's who could hold a wrench.

As an engineer (mechanical not civil) on hydropower stations I've often been involved in diving work. I don't really see much crossover myself, but that is largely due to the contracting arrangement for commercial diving services in my industry.
A lot of the diving work is simple dirty 'grunt work' - eg removing obstructions from screens (large branches and worse), sealing stop logs etc. There is some inspection, but this is often conveyed live to the engineer who is clean, dry and warm sitting up the top.
Don't write off engineering - it's a great profession, but it's not an easy option to get through an engineering degree or diploma - how's your maths & physics? Can be very rewarding once you've got through both financially and a sense of achievement in the work you undertake.

Thanks for the info. To refine my question further, I'm wondering if anyone knows if an associates in civil engineering technologies would provide me with a skill set that compliments commercial diving or if it'd be a waste of time? More of a need for engineer divers than divers trained as civil engineering techs?

I'd say the latter myself or fitter/turners (millwright) as divers. Definitely a good overlap of skills to have in this area.

From a UK perspective, there is very little call for Divers qualified as civil engineers on a marine civils job. I know of a few, but they worked for an Engineering and design company which occasionally required one of their engineers to get in the water to inspect the works done. It was normally cheaper for them to have a couple of their engineers to be in-date divers than to employ a 3rd party diving company to inspect work, especially if viz was poor. Others worked for a company which had a bridge inspection contract, where most of the inspection was above water, some of it just wading around in a suit, and the occasional dive had to be done for deeper work.
I think a background knowledge in engineering doesn't harm anyone who wants to be a better diver, but a degree would be overkill, and a lot of work and time also.

It's unlikely you would be able to 'fall back' on one or the other of those careers also. Diving, like Civil engineering, requires many years of dedication before you get 'good' at it, and become connected and employable. I can't see many guys succeeding in both careers, when so many cant get work in one of them just now.

I think you should sit down and have a long think about which job you want to put your effort into. Diving has been great to me, but from experience, I'm an exception. Out of 14 guys who trained in 1993, only me and two others were working a year later, and just after that one of them was killed in a diving incident, the other got out of the industry leaving just me by year 2...
You can travel the world working, still, but it isn't like it used to be. Foreign countries are getting wise to importing their expertise, and are pushing for local people to train up to take your job, and rates can be ridiculous (about 10 years I was working in the gulf of suez for $700 a day, and the local divers were on $50. It's not hard to see that it is considerably cheaper to throw a lot of cheap guys at a job hoping one can do it at those margins.
There's no job security, engineers are constantly trying to 'engineer-out' manned intervention on most designs, and even if you are the most cautious diver, your life is still in the hands of dozens of other people, most you will never see.
Civil engineers either travel from contract to contract or basically have an office job, the money seems to be ok, but every site I've been on, as the workers leave, the light is still on in the engineers hut, and they always have that 'heart-attack at 40' kinda look....but I'm not a civil engineer, so I'll leave that job description to an Engineer!

Back
Top Bottom