Clarification: whale shark season in Darwin & Wolf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove there from the Humboldt Explorer this past August, and saw whale sharks on most dives at Wolf and Darwin. Saw the rest of the "usual suspects" as well, and an unexpected treat, some orcas.

A few photos here:
#64 dive in Galápagos A Hundred Things to do

I was on the Galapagos Sky the first week of August this past year. We saw whale sharks on every dive at Darwin. Unbelievable amounts of big pelagics on every dive at Wolf and Darwin. Don't let fears about water temperature scare you away. I dove a 5mil with a hodded vest all week and was just fine. Others on the boat had 7 mil suits and a couple from Toronto dove dry all week.

Bill

bsppc - what was the water temperature? Did La Nina affect the water temperatue at the time?

North Seymour was 68, Wolf and Darwin were 71, Cape Marshall was 69 and Gordon Rocks were 66. The northern islands were slightly warmer than the central islands.

Bill

we saw huge (45-50ft) pregnant females on every dive at wolf this august. i've seen a lot of whale sharks before but these were in a different league, size wise.

oh and a pod of orcas, one with a hammerhead in its mouth, amazing!

oh and a pod of orcas, one with a hammerhead in its mouth, amazing!

CURSE you for being on the other dingy!

I went on the Humboldt last July and asked the guides when the best time to come was to see whale sharks. They told me August and September were the absolute best months!

Hope this helps!

On all my trips to Galapagos I have visited only in September and on each and every trip I saw double digit sightings of WhaleSharks at Wolf/Darwin, 19 on one trip 16 on the next and 15 on the next, Late August and September are prime Whale Shark time.

Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom