Clarify: At what point does a hog rig stop being a hog rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lardb,

Is that not a contradiction.

If at the point you are using a HOG rig it's because you want to pile loads of stage deco cylinders or reels for cave penetrations???

I am only asking because I have pads on my shoulders when I have my doubles and two or three stages....hanging off my D rings (MY WIFE DOUBLE SEWED THEM IN) where I wanted them.

I was diving my own rig years ago and then someone said, ÖH, not hogarthian...sod, hog, its as I want it and as simple as chips...BUT NOY CHEAP AS

Dive safe and DIVE YOUR OWN rig...as you see fit. I have seen people panic and helped them in all gear, and in all rigs.

Merry Christmas

boogey

On top of all the above, Bill Main developed his search for the ultimate rig to support cave diving, from whence the entire concept came.

Bill Main doesn't give a rat'sass where you carry your bag nor what color it is.

You don't blow bags or SMBs inside caves.

He's probably reading this thread and snorting beer out his nose as we speak... :wink:

Jeeez.........

thanks mate, cannot be arsed to go back and check your beer nose dribble name comment but, I do believe you have it and I FULLY UNDERSTAND...which is what I wanted.

BUT STILL, I cannot believe it was beer nose dribble man that perpetuated the HOG RIg expression.....

It must have been someone more charismatic than a man pouring beer out of nose...please help me FURTHER in my search for the TRUE source of the expression????

thanks.

boogey

I'm a "Hogarthian" diver!
I feel... at home with this kind of K.I.S.S. attitude towards diving and diving gear.

THERE! I said it! :)

boogeywoogey:

Hogarth, William: English painter and engraver. He was one of the leading British artists of the first half of the 18th century. He was trained as an engraver and by 1720 had established his own business printing billheads, book illustrations and funeral tickets. In his spare time he learnt to paint, firstly at St. Martin's Lane Academy and then under Sir James Thornhill, whose daughter he married in 1729. He made a name for himself with small family groups (e.g. The Wollaston Family, 1730, H.C. Wollaston's Trustees) and conversation pieces (e.g. The Beggar's Opera, one of several versions, c1729, London, Tate Gallery). Around this time he also set himself up as a portrait painter. Shortly afterwards, in c1731, he executed his first series of modern morality paintings, a totally new concept intended for wider dissemination through engraving. A Harlot's Progress (six scenes, destroyed by fire) was followed by A Rake's Progress (c1735, eight scenes, London, Sir John Soane's Museum) and Marriage a la Mode (c1743, six scenes, London, National Gallery). So popular were the engravings of the first series that they were soon pirated, and Hogarth's subsequent campaign against the pirates led to the Copyright Act of 1735. Unfortunately, as well as the engravings sold, he always had difficulty selling the original paintings. Hogarth compared his sequential paintings to theatrical performances, and thus in each series, minor vices and social affectations are incidentally satirized as the main theme - the punishment of a major vice - takes centre stage.
boogey

That's the guy.

What that blerb doesn't tell you is that William Hogarth also liked to dive. In fact, he pioneered the sport! He even made the first BP... well... he had his blacksmith buddy hammer one out of some vintage armour left over from the crusades. Hogarth, then did some killer engraving on the plate and that's pretty much how it all got started. I've read that he adapted his wing from some Scottish bagpipes but no one really knows if this is true.

As a painter, his most famous work was a self portrait... all decked out in his hog rig. But, alas, this disappeared during the second world war...

So now, all we have to go on are the "best guesses' of a few scholars learned in Hogarthianism. But most of them have long ago been commited to various asylums.

boogeywoogey:
thanks mate, cannot be arsed to go back and check your beer nose dribble name comment but, I do believe you have it and I FULLY UNDERSTAND...which is what I wanted.

BUT STILL, I cannot believe it was beer nose dribble man that perpetuated the HOG RIg expression.....

It must have been someone more charismatic than a man pouring beer out of nose...please help me FURTHER in my search for the TRUE source of the expression????

thanks.

boogey

wrong, but your collection of posts seem to indicate that psychotropic substances are easily obtainable in the Netherland Antilles...

ROFLAO..... thats funny. Especially the self portrait.

Meng_Tze:
ROFLAO..... thats funny. Especially the self portrait.

Everybody probably has a Hogarth story... but that's what I heard... so, I'm stickin' to it!

Now would probably be a good time for anyone else to tell it like they heard it...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom