• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

"Class Reports" A new ULTRA green sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lowviz, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The bad ones are really bad. DD at least is permabanned.

2. Marie13

Is anyone starting to see the pattern here?

3. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

Yeah, the Green Zone trip-wires are still set too high for comfort...

4. Marie13

You’re supposed to get into your suit, get in the water to cool off, then get geared up and in the water quickly. I do that off the dive boat all the time. I always run hot, and the hot flashes make it worse. Thank goodness for the cold water up here.

Bob DBF likes this.
  5. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    What I'm saying is that, from what I see, no one reports. Perhaps a campaign to advertise the report button and its use, especially in basic, will bring about the change you want without a new forum, which may develop the same issue for the same reason.

Guilty, but to be fair, I had to put up the same abuse in person before the recreational internet became a thing. I try not to be the jerk to others that I had to put up with back when...

And that is a shame, as well as those will we never hear from at all.

Bob

lowviz likes this.
  6. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The golden rule is under attack lately. Being careful to word things so others aren't hurt is viewed as political correctness by those that would rather "speak their mind" or "be blunt". Add to that the challenge of judging the intended tone in written words that are often thumbed out on a phone while killing time and you have a large potential for hurt feelings.

As a mod I believe that our members should be protected from unwanted harsh criticism dressed in "trying to help you" clothing. Often class reports are for tech courses and are in the tech forums(such was the case with dewdropsonrosa's class report) where, right or wrong, the green zone rules don't apply. Perhaps that should change. There is a culture in the tech diving world that is more accepting of harsh criticism of self and others and it is viewed as important to learning. (not unlike the way military pilots critique mistakes without pulling punches or feeling insulted) I don't personally agree and feel the diver that is new to tech is still new and we can't help the ones we run off. Anything that needs to be said can be said with kindness.

The report function is very important. If one feels attacked and decides to defend themselves with keyboard blazing, the escalation ruins the thread until a mod steps in and deletes a bunch of posts, many of which may also include valuable input. It is always best to report the problem and let it go. Others will see what happened and when you show you can let challenges roll off your back, the people that matter most will gain respect for you. Staying calm under stress and choosing the most effective course of action is a valuable asset as a diver. Never wallow in the mud with a pig. The pig likes it and you just look muddy in the end.

lowviz, Graeme Fraser and laikabear like this.