Claustrophobia, SHARKS and FEAR!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King_Neptune

Founder
Reaction score
Food for the Brain,

Having DiveMastered MANY classes, I will tell you what I do to settle and sometimes even make a nervous diver completely forget about claustrophobic fears. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've heard people say they "Aren't so sure how they will do because they are claustrophobic" before they made that first ocean dive and afterwards, when asked, they look shocked and outwardly realize that they never even though about being claustrophobic.

One of the biggest reasons a person will say they "can't dive because they are claustrophobic" is because they have convinced them self they are going to feel claustrophobic while diving. (Often times this is not wholly self induced either, they could have had help from someone less experienced and most of the time from someone completely ignorant.) With all that dive gear and neoprene on (assuming it is properly fitted) those fears can start to worsen, but once in the water and proper buoyancy is achieved the gear starts to loosen up and not feel so restrictive. The NEW feeling of weightlessness and pure freedom of movement is usually much stronger than the fears they had just minutes ago about being claustrophobic.
Especially that very first experience of weightlessness can be a very strong, and even a fearful experience its self if not prepared for.

The Number 1 Cure for fears of being claustrophobic when diving is best administered before they even jump in the gear for that dive, and if possible, before they even get in that pool for the first lesson.

A good Instructor should always seek out, ask, discuss, calm and confront those fears before they become a reality.
Regardless of whether or not the Instructor did that job during the first steps of training, a good DiveMaster will take advantage of a unique opportunity to help that sometimes the Instructor cannot afford. Many times people will not address such fears to the Instructor for fear of looking "weak", "wimpy" or "incompetent". But people usually feel more free about asking the DiveMaster such questions. And even if their isn't a DiveMaster, you yourself, or other Experienced divers (even if that experience is only a couple of dives) can make that diving experience MUCH more enjoyable for others by simply bringing it up on your own and explaining to the "newbies" how you felt FREE underwater and explain to them that remaining calm and thinking about the "steps" they are working on and not thinking about the "Dark Realm" closing in on them can help.

In a case like this knowledge really is power. Everyone, at one point or another, thinks about being claustrophobic in one way or another, but most overcome even the slightest doubt the second they were floating effortlessly and weightlessly at 30 feet while gaining their bearing even if the vis was only 2 feet. It's a whole new world down there and if people knew that "other people just like them" thought the same things they are thinking at some point in time and then found that it wasn't horrible at all and actually rather pleasing, they would go into the situation with a more positive outlook. They would be anticipating the "euphoric" feelings you were just explaining and not some Deep, Evil, Dark and claustrophobic Ocean Monster they have worried about.

Someone that is truly claustrophobic can be very scared and some kind and reassuring words from even a newly open water certified diver can mean the difference between them enjoying SCUBA for the rest of their life or hating it and never getting in the water again. The TOP 2 fears I hear from non-divers and "about to get certified divers" are:
1) claustrophobia
2) SHARKS!

Both of these fears can usually be easily overcome with a little bit of knowledge from someone that has "been there, done that" or someone that has a little more knowledge than what they learned from watching JAWS. Fear is natural and can be a healthy emotion but with little place or use for divers. "Respect" would be a better quality for a diver to practice, both for the world surrounding them and for their fellow diver.

=-)

The KING has spoken....well-said..

Phobia is defined as "an exaggerated, inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object or situation"..

As we know, most therapists gradually expose an individual to the object or situation that the person is afraid of, to help them overcome the fear. I think the whole diving experience, beginning with confined dives, then open water dives limited to a certain depth, can help one overcome these fears. Gradual exposure to a new environment.

My first open water experience was in a lake. Low visibility, etc. Regardless of this, I felt pretty safe, as opposed to the big, wide, open ocean. Now that was something that was a challenge for me. But once I got under water, I felt much more relaxed. Everything just opened up for me. The whole key, when you find yourself getting anxious about a dive (or any situation for that matter) is to stop, breath, think, and act. Acting may mean aborting the dive if something doesn't feel right. Or it may mean slowing down and taking your time.

When I did my first deep dive, it was very cold and I had to wear a hood. Talk about feeling confined. However just telling my instructor how I was feeling and that I was nervous about the dive made me feel better. I think alot of these fears can be alleviated by talking. Instructors and divemasters can't read our minds! How can they help if they don't know what we are thinking????

I'm doing a rescue course now (can anybody tell???), and part of the training involves keeping our eyes on other divers, looking for indications of someone not feeling too well, or not feeling sure of themselves, asking them questions to tactfully see if they may need some reassurance or help with something. This is also an excellent course for building your own self-confidence.

Anyway, just a long, wordy, reply that probably doesn't mean much to most people, but if it helps one person, I'll feel good!!

Question ...

Have you all noticed how the media has recently grown a large taste for "Shark Attack Reports"? I can't help but think that in their quest for ratings that they are actually dealing the diving Industry a real unfounded negative blow.

Last I heard Hippo's are the leading killers in the world of attacking wildlife... Time to cancel those Hippo-watching trips!!!

=-)

A dive shop here in Michigan that I use to go into quite frequently would know immediatley when shark week was on the discovery channel. How did they know this? The returns on newly purchased snorkeling gear would go up.

I have to say even though I am scared of sharks once I hit the ocean I tend to forget all about my fear.

Jennifer
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

I'm completly serious on that one. They would rarely get returns until the week that the shark shows were running. It was terrible for them.

Often times I encourage new divers to join me on a shark dive here in La Jolla. The sharks are plentiful and very docile. The first time the divers see's a shark they get very excited, they attempt to swim towards them. Very seldomly do I run into anyone who is terrified of the word shark. Those who are just need to do a little research and those fears are usually put to bed.

Now if you see something coming towards you in the water that has a Leopard print on it, it's blowing bubbles and has a hidious pink hump on it's back, get out of the water immediately! Just pull out your knife, cut your buddy to slow 'em down and start doing mach 3! ARGH! The nightmares! LOL! Sorry Ma(Don)na, I couldn't help myself. LOL!

On the PADI self assessment questionaire there is a question about claustrophobia. The Club I used to DM for would give out the medical questionaire to students before they came to the pool sesion, so that there was the minimum ammount of time spent faffing with paperwork. The number of times I have had people ask about claustrophobia is phenominal.

One question I have always found is a good guideline as to wether there is a genuine problem is to ask how the student feels when the doors of a lift (elevator in US speak?) close. Some-one who is clinically claustrophobic will feel the panic start as the doors close. Anything less, and you have someone that will adapt to the underwater, although they might need a little hand holding.

If they do have problems in a lift, then it's a no on the form, and off to the doctors.

Just a tip, probably only worth .02

Jon T

Jon

I never knew I was claustrophic until I was underwater with the mask and regulator the first time. I never had trouble in closed rooms, elevators, small spaces, etc...so when I filled out my form I said NO to claustrophobia.

I was so convinced that I was NOT claustrophic that it took me 3 days to figure out what the actual fear was.

Once I identified it, it went away in any case.

Apparently not everyone is AWARE of being claustrophic.

And that was my $0.02 :)

gozu

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom