• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cleaning a mask in the dishwasher

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by Sbiriguda, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I would like to clean my mask in the dishwasher, like some people do. Should I just put it inside together with the dishes or is there something I should know? Should I use a specific program, temperature etc.? Should I use the soap or not?
    Thanks

АлександрД likes this.
  2. grf88

grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Watching with interest.

3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I wouldn’t do it myself, but if you’re hell bent on doing it, top rack only.

4. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Absolutely no need to do that. It could get jostled around and broken. As well as deformed by the heat. I've never heard of a mask being cleaned in a dishwasher.

Stoo and NothingClever like this.
  5. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I would be concerned with putting my mask in the dishwasher - breakage, deformation of skirt, etc... but by all means do it and let us know what happens. Every so often I put my pee-soaked wetsuit in the washing machine on cold water, gentle cycle and it comes out fantastic. It makes my wife cringe, but a small price to pay for a wetsuit that doesn't smell like urine. :)

Perryed likes this.
  6. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    You should also jump in the dishwasher yourself with the dishes and mask to save water and prevent energy waste. No more need for showers in the bathroom, be a happy family and get cleaned with the dishes and dive equipment and protect the environment!!!

Hatul and АлександрД like this.
  7. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!

You seem to hang out with very "special" type of people. You need to go out and meet a different set of people ASAP.

8. Divectionist

Divectionist Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I just washed my masks in the sink, bit of gentle dish soap and warm water to get sunscreen off the skirt, sea buff the glass both sides, hang to dry. Took 2 minutes.

What am I missing not putting it into the dishwasher? If anything it misses the physical action of rubbing and comes out with just as much sunscreen and what not on it.

9. CarstenS

CarstenS Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Silicone residue comes off really well in a dish washer - normal cycle, lowest temp your machine will do, ideally after the toothpaste/ brush treatment. I have been doing this for the past 20 years with all new masks, really cuts down on the fogging. Absolutely no concerns.

10. ScubaMarc

ScubaMarc Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    would it remove the yellowish from clear skirts?

tridacna likes this.