• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cleaning a mask in the dishwasher

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by Sbiriguda, Nov 17, 2019.

1. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

2. chillyinCanada

I don't think I would use the dishwasher as a standard for cleaning my mask. A good part of that is my concern that I'll forget to open the door and/or remove the mask before the heat dry cycle.

That said, perhaps I should consider doing it once as part of new mask prep. However, this would also have me setting up timers and alarms everywhere in the house and on my phone.

АлександрД likes this.
  3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Doesn’t your DW allow you to turn off the heat dry cycle? Mine does. I also never use it.

4. chillyinCanada

I'll have to check because I've never done that, I always just open the door.

5. michael-fisch

michael-fisch Manta Ray

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I have 7 Oceanic Ion masks with black skirts, a similar mask with mirrored lenses and an old retro style single lens mask.
    All of them have been through my dishwasher using the hottest pot cleaning cycle and really good disk detergent tabs at least once. Only 1 ever needed a 2nd run through the dishwasher in order to stop fogging up while diving.
    None of the masks were damaged by going through the dishwasher.
    Why 7 Oceanic Ion masks? Because I have one in the right pocket of 4 drysuits and I like having spares.

Michael

6. Mo2vation

Mo2vation Relocated to South Florida.... ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Are these dishwasher mask folks the same people that want to put their wet suits in the clothes washer?

Asking for a friend.

Eyegore and aviator8 like this.
  7. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Glass gets washed in dishwasher all the time.
    Silicone is highly heat resistant, can go into oven, can be washed in dishwasher.
    Baseball hats can be washed in dishwasher.
    Therefore silicone dive masks with glass lenses must be carefully hand washed in the sink.

Schwob, Steelyeyes, Hoyden and 5 others like this.
  8. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I've washed all sorts of things in the dishwasher. The most unusual is probably computer motherboards. As long as you disable the heated dry cycle, and (in the case of circuit boards) ensure the thing is 100% dry before use, it hasn't been a problem.

Never occurred to me to clean a mask in the dishwasher. I use the mcnett seabuff stuff that my LDS sells for under $10 and never really had a problem. Therefore I've never tried any other techniques.

9. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Two completely different fetishes. :)

D_Fresh, Eyegore, Steelyeyes and 3 others like this.
  10. Mo2vation

Mo2vation Relocated to South Florida.... ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    You know how you wash a mask?

You dive it frequently.

Mask washing... never heard of such a thing in my life. Dive it, rinse it. Repeat often.

Now a wetsuit at the laundromat is another thing altogether... that's just funny. Can I toss my booties and fins in with it, or are those hand wash only? What cycle do you use? Fabric softner, powder or liquid detergent? Are my reef gloves cool to toss into the top-loader, or are those best cleaned in a front loader? Is my hood dry clean only, or is it okay I bounce that into the Kenmore with all the other neoprene?

Killing me, here.....