Cleaning non-prescription lenses + purge valve parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joebad

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just ordered an Ultra 2200 mask directly from Sea Vision.

I've read on this board that one should not use toothpaste on their masks with prescription and/or colored lenses.

What about with non-prescription, clear lenses? How do you recommend cleaning those and avoiding fogging?

Also, I have experience with Ocean Master / XS Scuba masks and have had occasion where I needed replacement parts for the purge valves. Are the parts for the valves on Sea Vision masks available and is that something I should have in my save-a-dive kit?

Thanks!

Depends on the lenses. I used it on my Seavision with the bifocals. Another way that I've also used but it takes just a bit more elbow grease is something like Dawn dish washing liquid and HOT water. It works but does take more rubbing. What does Seavision recommend? You can get mask cleaner from McNett as well. On tempered lenses toothpaste -the old fashion paste kind, not the new gel stuff, should not hurt them at all.

As for purge valves I have no idea as I would never have mask with them. Unnecessary and an additional failure point.

I own the SeaVision Ultra gauge readers as well as a "regular" non-prescription SeaVision Ultra. The non-prescription use regular tempered glass lenses (and say so right on the lens). The gauge readers (and I believe the colored filter lenses) have some form of polycarbonate lens, which is more susceptible to scratching.

I've used toothpaste on the standard non-prescription, tempered glass, with no problem, and nothing more abrasive than baby-shampoo on the gauge readers.

The SeaVision site, I believe, is relatively clear about this.

Hi joebad

Thank you for your purchase, please do not use anything abrasive on sea vision rx or gauge reader or filtered lenses, first no need to and second they will scratch. Clean the mask with warm soapy water let it drip dry and store in case. And use the defog supplied with every mask as directed on the bottle....john

A Purge mask is necessary for me. I always have water in my mask. If I pull the mask straps tightly enough to stop the infiltration my face feels like it's been in a vise after the first dive. I'm going to try Sea Vision's Ultra 2200 for large faces. I've used a competitor's mask with Q strap for years and never a problem with the purge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom