Cleaning Rust from a steal tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frackingawesome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 2 steel 100s in a double set. Both tanks got some salt water sprayed in them and now have some surface rust on them. I think it is surface rust. I only found the rust when they got back from hydro which they passed.

My LDS is telling me i should just trash them and get 2 new tanks from them of corse at like 460 per tank... but i was wondering about just getting them cleaned. Tumbled or something.

Can i get them cleaned?

When i asked my LDS they said I would need to get them retumbled every year (cause the rust would just come back) when i get them VIPed as well as o2 cleaned.

Would i also need to get the valves re o2 cleaned when i get them tumbled this time? They where 02 cleaned before this whole thing happened...

I would just tumble them and check every year. I doubt the rust will magically come back if you keep some air in them. BTW, it's funny that someone from Pennsylvania would misspell steel. :)

You'd have to find out how it gets there. You should not get any rust with fills at all, the air should be super dry. I think the place where you get fills has a faulty compressor that does not remove all moisture.

I have 5 steel tanks, never any rust inside and I dive salt.

You'd have to find out how it gets there. You should not get any rust with fills at all, the air should be super dry. I think the place where you get fills has a faulty compressor that does not remove all moisture.

They get filled everywhere from Florida keys and cave country to SoCal... so i have no idea where it might have happened...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom