Cleaning/sanitizing/disinfecting your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't only after the training dives in openwater, but also at the end of the pool sessions. I have students in full equipment including wetsuits, etc. as if they are in openwater during the confined water/pool training.

I have students rinse the equipment in their homes when doing the openwater work but I still soak the equipment in Dettol before starting a new class. I believe that it is a necessary courtesy for our students. If the rental/training equipment isn't good enough for me to use, for ANY reason, it isn't good enough to my students.
Excellent approach. I did mean we had them rinse it after pool sessions as well. I don't think Dettol was used at our shop, but don't know for sure as I just worked the weekends--maybe staff used Dettol during the week, but I doubt it. This is the first I've ever heard of Dettol.
I don't know the difference between sanitizing and disinfecting--never thought about it.

The only thing I sanitise is the counterlungs and loop on my rebreather. Fish p*ss, sh*t and have sex in the water your regs are going to come into contact with, so going OTT with cleaning seems pointless.

The only thing I sanitise is the counterlungs and loop on my rebreather. Fish p*ss, sh*t and have sex in the water your regs are going to come into contact with, so going OTT with cleaning seems pointless.

If you are a dive student or a renter, I think that it is appropriate that the instructor/dive center make all effort to make sure their equipment is disinfected/sanitized/cleaned for the next person who is going to use this equipment. I certainly won't appreciate renting a wetsuit or using a mask, snorkel or boots that other person(S) who I don't know have used them and any traces of their body secretions or urine are left on the equipment.

Breather divers have to because they have to keep the loop disinfected because of "bagpipe lung". Scuba divers have gotten it after breathing out of their bcd's which is not good if you never disinfect.
I have read this and so I assumed that Steramine was also a fungicide but from what I have read this doesn't seem to be the case.

It's my gear but two things I am particular about and want to disinfect after a trip are my mask and the wing bladder. Even though its my snot I still don't want it multiplying between trips and the inside of the bladder is pretty much a petri dish. The regulator second is a close third.

Last edited:
Chlorine attacks stainless steel. a lot of our diving equipment have SS parts, no bueno.

Make sure no alcohol in the cleaner either; eats seam glue.

Make sure no alcohol in the cleaner either; eats seam glue.

I used a 50-50 solution of alcohol and vinegar to sanitize my P-valve. I hope that's dilute enough not to be a concern.

I used a 50-50 solution of alcohol and vinegar to sanitize my P-valve. I hope that's dilute enough not to be a concern.

I have no words

Or is it that I have lots to say but I'm holding get myself back . . .

:wink:

Gear goes in my saltwater pool after a dive. Bladder flooded with pool water. Tanks and regs get pulled before the end of the day. The rest of the gear gets pulled the next day and hosed off and flushed. After drying it gets a light spray of food grade silicone spray. Mask is cleaned with antibacterial soap and a new application of defog is applied and left to dry. Some metals will get a light spray of CorrosionX.

Everything continues to look and smell as good as new. :)

At work (research lab) we use Nolvasan (chlorhexidine).
Chlorhexidine - Wikipedia
https://www.amazon.com/Nolvasan-Sol...=UTF8&qid=1486668838&sr=8-4&keywords=Nolvasan

We use it as a surgical scrub for skin before surgery and to clean instruments before and after surgery. We also use it more generally to clean anything that seems dirty due biological fluids/tissue. Its gets kinda soapy/sudsy when you brush or wash with it. Its also very cheap, as you mix it about 10% or so with water. Its mostly targeted for bacteria and viruses (HIV, etc), but I think it has activity towards yeast (fungus) as well.

I would think it would be ideal for P valves or things related to urine/spit/blood/vomit, etc. Better than just soap or vinegar in that case. Possibly good for regulator mouthpiece and mask, but I don't see how those would really be that dirty or contaminated. I am not sure about putting into a BC bladder or for long term soaking of a regulator or wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom