Cleaning up an old plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waynegedye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I found a plate in the mud while diving over the weekend and I would love to clean it up and put it on display. Having a quick search of the interweb it seems to be from about 1905 and looks to be in good conduction. What is the best way to clean it up and keep it looking good.
Thanks Wayne

Attachments

• P1080379.JPG
    P1080379.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P1080380.JPG
    P1080380.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 134
  • P1080396.JPG
    P1080396.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 124
A dishwasher ?

A dishwasher ?

No, no, no!

Thermal stresses could crack/craze it. Soft scrubber and soap and water first. Staining? I've used things like Efferdent (denture cleaner) with some success. A bleach based cleaner too. Curious at to what others may say.

I got a few this year as well, from 1917. First off was it in seawater or fresh water? If seawater you need to leave it in freshwater for a good 6 - 8 weeks to get the salt to leech out of it. Ideally it should be in a container that regularly changes the freshwater e.g. a toilet cistern is good.
I then soaked it for a day using a dish water tablet (oxygen based bleach) and then some gentle scrubbing to get what I could off.
Re: staining I'd leave alone as that's part of its story.

Cathal

Funny. I just don't see the wife accepting that implementation... :thumb:
Thing is if it fits in there, just close the lid and she'll never know. I did this for a ceramic beer bottle a couple years back and it worked a treat. If you don't change the water regularly the salt levels in the water match those in the plate and leeching does not occur hence why the cistern works well.

It was in seawater, looks like it will be sitting in a bucket for a little longer, or may be the toilet.

I got a few this year as well, from 1917. First off was it in seawater or fresh water? If seawater you need to leave it in freshwater for a good 6 - 8 weeks to get the salt to leech out of it. Ideally it should be in a container that regularly changes the freshwater e.g. a toilet cistern is good.
I then soaked it for a day using a dish water tablet (oxygen based bleach) and then some gentle scrubbing to get what I could off.
Re: staining I'd leave alone as that's part of its story.

Cathal
Do you recommend that method for soaking regs after a dive trip? Just slap it on a 3/6cuft bottle :D

Clearly I need to focus on more activites not related to scuba. I read the thread title and immediately thought someone had a vintage backplate that needed attention. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom