Clicker reel recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies.

First, I have a Hollis sidewinder (Seeker?) 800' reel. It was advertised at 600'. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew up front that is was 800'. But, once I got it... And it was only $75 from DGX. Anyway... So, I don't really need anything longer than 200'ish feet at this point. That's why I was looking at the DR Sidewinder for $111, instead of the LM at $160 (both with Hi-Viz, from DGX).

Regarding the length, I'm regularly (well, as much as I can) going to NC and diving wrecks that are 110 - 115fsw. I have read and been told that I should have a line for my SMB that is roughly double the depth I will be at. Thus allowing me to deploy an SMB from the bottom (if it were to become necessary) and be pretty sure that it will be visible on the surface, even if there's a serious current. That's why I don't think my finger spool is suitable.

Any further thoughts? So far, I've mainly gotten that the DR stuff is not that good quality. But, I'm unclear on whether any of those comments were about the DR sidewinders, or all about the Classics.

Also, Jim, I looked at the Mantas. How is that CR-2? The soft handle idea looks pretty interesting. With 250' of line, that could be just about perfect to pre-rig to my SMB and have in a cargo pocket. How much do they sell for? And how much for the CR-2 with the Manta Line Stop?

Regarding the length, I'm regularly (well, as much as I can) going to NC and diving wrecks that are 110 - 115fsw. I have read and been told that I should have a line for my SMB that is roughly double the depth I will be at. Thus allowing me to deploy an SMB from the bottom (if it were to become necessary) and be pretty sure that it will be visible on the surface, even if there's a serious current. That's why I don't think my finger spool is suitable.

Don't know if the vis is always pretty good in NC, or if you will be diving in areas of lower visibility, but a reel is a VERY important piece of equipment for an ocean diver when you can't rely on easily finding the anchor line at the end of the dive. Lots of our wrecks have been wire dragged, so it's not like you just remember to go aft from the wheelhouse or something, it's more like a junkyard, and easy to get lost without a line. A reel is definitely the correct tool for that job, spool is much harder to use there.

Also, I haven't done this myself since training, but there is one option that you have if you bring more line. If you lose the anchor line and there is any current you don't want to do a free ascent (makes the captains angry, I hear!). You can shoot a bag from the wreck, tie off your line and cut it, but if you have extra line you can sometimes loop the line around part of the wreck after sending up the bag, then ascend with the reel along that line, so you end up on the surface with a double line looped around the wreck. After you get picked up, you can just disconnect the bag and reel up the whole line without losing it, and without leaving it on the wreck as an entanglement hazard. This last point is a benefit of sisal in the old Jersey uplines - sisal is biodegradable, unlike poly cave line.

Thanks for the replies.

First, I have a Hollis sidewinder (Seeker?) 800' reel. It was advertised at 600'. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew up front that is was 800'. But, once I got it... And it was only $75 from DGX. Anyway... So, I don't really need anything longer than 200'ish feet at this point. That's why I was looking at the DR Sidewinder for $111, instead of the LM at $160 (both with Hi-Viz, from DGX).

Any further thoughts? So far, I've mainly gotten that the DR stuff is not that good quality. But, I'm unclear on whether any of those comments were about the DR sidewinders, or all about the Classics.

Also, Jim, I looked at the Mantas. How is that CR-2? The soft handle idea looks pretty interesting. With 250' of line, that could be just about perfect to pre-rig to my SMB and have in a cargo pocket. How much do they sell for? And how much for the CR-2 with the Manta Line Stop?
Since the DR Classic and Sidewinder reels have pretty much the same parts except the handle, I would expect a similar track record. If you notice on the DGE website, their have an entire listing of replacement parts for the DR reels. Not so with the LM.

Look again at the 111 DR reel, less footage (180) and the closed handle. May not matter to you. For 145 you can get the 200 LM with the standard white cave line. Good enough if you want to save a few dollars. I have the high viz line but some believe it is more marketing then real value. In fact, my cave instructor told me to get rid of that line.

Eric said to tell you he has the CR2 and prefers it to my LM but that the soft handle can make it a little tougher to control. And as you can see the lockdown screw on the CR 2 is on the same side as the line.

image.jpg

Yes, I am have more dive gear then the average LDS.

Thanks for the replies.

Why do you want to be dragging around a big real for a 120 ft dive? Why do you need to send an SMB up IMMEDIATELY from depth? Why can't you, even in a moderate current, get up to a depth of 50 ft or so and then deploy a spool from that depth?

If the reel is ONLY for use in an emergency when you screw up and get off the wreck and lose the mooring line - then is it really worth the bulk and hassle of a reel?

I do drift dives into wrecks past recreational depths with surface currents in the 2-4 kt range. In these conditions we drop 0.15 miles upstream of the wreck and we have no line to the surface at all during the dive. When it is time to ascend, then I send up an SMB -with a reel. If I delayed sending an smb until reaching shallow water, I would be 1/2 mile form the wreck or something- so the big ass, pain in the azzz reel with 600 ft of line on it is a very necessary evil. But does it make sense for your type of diving? I kinda doubt it, but I really don't know.

I use a reel similar to a manta brand reel, it was found on the bottom, so who know if it was homemade, proto-type etc. but it has a spring loaded release that allows line to be released with one hand.. which is a huge advantage for me.. It is similar in attributes to the inexpensive clicker reel shown in this thread.

if you care, this video at around t=6:50 minutes shows me filming myself deploying from a depth of around 190 - 200 ft. The bottom water was negligible current, but the top was like 2-3 kts, so you need a big strong reel, with a lot of line and something you can hang on to as you get yanked through the water and (toward the surface) by the float on the surface..Not sure if the technique is consistent with any agency; I've never taken any technical classes or any class that talked about a reel or an SMB..

[video=youtube_share;nn-Zi1XeFhU]http://youtu.be/nn-Zi1XeFhU[/video]

The problem with the hi-viz line (the DGX stuff) in a cave is that it's dacron and doesn't stretch. If you make it too tight, it's hard to properly clip things off to the line, if it's too loose, well, it's too loose. It's nothing that you can't deal with, but it requires more attention when you're laying line. It is much stronger however, and on a spool for shooting a bag you can get more line on the spool, and it's stronger.

The Hollis Seeker reel sucks. The spool, the "injection molded glass-filled nylon," is flimsy at best. The Dive Rites are very brittle, and have sloppy tolerances. The LM and similar are machined out of delrin, much stronger, more precise construction. The captured bolt snap is a pain in the dick too. Much better with a simple hole in the handle so a double-ender can be used, it can be removed if desired. I pulled it off and replaced it with a loop of bungee and use a double-ender. Much cleaner setup. I have all three, the LM is the one I dive with if I need a reel. If I'm in open water just shooting a bag, a finger spool is the ticket.

That doesn't mean that they won't work, they do, there are just better ways to skin a cat these days.

First, I have a Hollis sidewinder (Seeker?) 800' reel. It was advertised at 600'. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew up front that is was 800'. But, once I got it... And it was only $75 from DGX. Anyway... So, I don't really need anything longer than 200'ish feet at this point. That's why I was looking at the DR Sidewinder for $111, instead of the LM at $160

Any further thoughts?

I'm sure that - very early on in your frantic quest to acquire gear - I shared with you RJP's Immutable First Law of Scuba Economics

"The best way to waste money in diving is by getting a good deal on the wrong gear."

Near as I can tell, you spent $79 on the wrong primary reel (whether 800ft or 600ft) and now you're looking to spend $111 on the wrong backup.

So you're looking at being out $190 bucks... and you still really need a 400ft primary reel and finger spool.

:D

After you lay out more money to buy "the right gear" you will have spent more money than I paid for an H Pathfinder 400 reel and an H Defender 150 spool.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 10:15 PM ----------

You can shoot a bag from the wreck, tie off your line and cut it, but if you have extra line you can sometimes loop the line around part of the wreck after sending up the bag, then ascend with the reel along that line, so you end up on the surface with a double line looped around the wreck. After you get picked up, you can just disconnect the bag and reel up the whole line without losing it.

Been there. Done that.

Why do you want to be dragging around a big real for a 120 ft dive? Why do you need to send an SMB up IMMEDIATELY from depth? Why can't you, even in a moderate current, get up to a depth of 50 ft or so and then deploy a spool from that depth?

Because, in NC, if you do a free ascent to 50 ft and then shoot a bag, you can already be so far from the boat (because of current) that they might not see the SMB when it hits the surface. Especially if the weather kicked up while the divers are down. And especially if you have any deco stops before 50 feet. I realize deco stops lower than 50' are not AS likely on a 120' dive, but some dives may be deeper (as I will complete AN/DP in a couple of months). And it depends on what GF I'm using, too. My instructor likes to use very conservative GF settings, so that does make it more likely. MultiDeco says I'd have my first stop at 60' on a 130' dive for 0:40, using the GF my instructor likes.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 10:31 PM ----------

I'm sure that - very early on in your frantic quest to acquire gear - I shared with you RJP's Immutable First Law of Scuba Economics

"The best way to waste money in diving is by getting a good deal on the wrong gear."

Near as I can tell, you spent $79 on the wrong primary reel (whether 800ft or 600ft) and now you're looking to spend $111 on the wrong backup.

Just remember: I'm just LOOKING right now. :) Y'all have convinced me to forget about the DR. Now I'm wondering about a Manta CR-2. I will check out the H. And if nothing else seems better, I will go for the LM.

And, I don't regret the Hollis. I've used it a fair bit now and I don't have any complaints. It's just not the right tool for the job (for me) of being an SMB reel. I think it's great for diving a wreck like the Caribsea, where (when I was there, anyway) the viz is crap and it's just a big debris field. The Hollis reel will let me do a lot of exploring before I get to the end of that line.

If the reel is ONLY for use in an emergency when you screw up and get off the wreck and lose the mooring line - then is it really worth the bulk and hassle of a reel?

I'm not sure I understand. If your dive boat is tied into the wreck, and you are ascending in current away from the anchor line, shouldn't you also be tied to some part of the wreck? If you ascend to 50 feet and send up a bag, you are going to surface pretty far from the dive boat, especially if you owe any deco, right? Maybe I'm missing something...

The problem with the hi-viz line (the DGX stuff) in a cave is that it's dacron and doesn't stretch. If you make it too tight, it's hard to properly clip things off to the line, if it's too loose, well, it's too loose. It's nothing that you can't deal with, but it requires more attention when you're laying line. It is much stronger however, and on a spool for shooting a bag you can get more line on the spool, and it's stronger.

The Hollis Seeker reel sucks. The spool, the "injection molded glass-filled nylon," is flimsy at best. The Dive Rites are very brittle, and have sloppy tolerances. The LM and similar are machined out of delrin, much stronger, more precise construction. The captured bolt snap is a pain in the dick too. Much better with a simple hole in the handle so a double-ender can be used, it can be removed if desired. I pulled it off and replaced it with a loop of bungee and use a double-ender. Much cleaner setup. I have all three, the LM is the one I dive with if I need a reel. If I'm in open water just shooting a bag, a finger spool is the ticket.

That doesn't mean that they won't work, they do, there are just better ways to skin a cat these days.

Thanks for the explanation on the Hi-Viz. I was going to get it (if I get a reel from DGX) precisely because they can put more of it on the same size reel. But, I am happy to have learned what the tradeoff is.

My Hollis reel seems to holding up fine, so far. I made the mistake of diving with it without first pulling the line off, soaking it, and reeling it back up wet. Eventually, the line swelled enough to bow the sides of the reel out to where the one side was rubbing against the handle and made it really hard to turn. But, I pulled all the line off, soaked it, and reeled it up wet and it's fine now. The captured bolt snap is a little annoying, but hasn't bugged me too much yet. However, I have a drill press and know how to use it. So, a very quick and easy mod to ditch the captured snap and be able to use a double ender is no big deal. That aspect of the Hollis is certainly not a reason I think anyone should be discouraged from buying one.

The Hollis reel will let me do a lot of exploring before I get to the end of that line.

There's a saying about giving someone enough rope...

I'm just saying.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 10:59 PM ----------

And, I don't regret the Hollis. I've used it a fair bit now...

No, you haven't. You haven't used anything "a fair bit" yet.

Sorry.

You have 53 dives, and by your own admission in another thread only 25 or so of them were outside a class setting. And it sounds like most of those were benign follow-the-leader tours in pleasant, clear warm water.

I'm not knocking your experience to date; we were all new divers. But you REALLY need to stop trying to convince yourself that you've got enough experience to use phrases like "a fair bit" when discussing anything relative to diving at this point. Hate to be melodramatic, but I've known several people with 10 or 20 times your dive count that have killed themselves because they thought they had "a fair bit" of experience.

There are people on ScubaBoard who have spent more dives tweaking placement of any one single piece of new gear than you've done in the totality of your diving experience. Those people have "a fair bit" of experience; listen to them.

Back
Top Bottom