Clicker reel recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure I understand. If your dive boat is tied into the wreck, and you are ascending in current away from the anchor line, shouldn't you also be tied to some part of the wreck? If you ascend to 50 feet and send up a bag, you are going to surface pretty far from the dive boat, especially if you owe any deco, right? Maybe I'm missing something...

To be honest, I have done very little wreck diving from an anchored boat in the last 30 yrs. Locally, we just drift into the wreck and drift off.

I guess if the boat won't come and get you (eventually) as you drift off under an smb, then you better tie yourself to the bottom. That would not work at all for us locally because the currents are too strong and it would be impossible to be tethered to the wreck, you would just get sucked down
by the current.

I was assuming that in the unlikely event that you can't make the anchor line, you just drift off on the surface. If someone is doing no-deco dives in 120, they should be able to ascend pretty quickly to 50 ft or so where a little spool will work. If the current is ripping, then they would be a long way from the boat... if that is the case.. then a big reel might be worth the hassle so you can deploy from the bottom (like I did in the video).

I was assuming that in the unlikely event that you can't make the anchor line, you just drift off on the surface.

Here in the NE the boats are tied into the wreck. Hard to chase one guy with an SMB when you've got 17 divers on the wreck, on the up-line, on the deco line, etc.

God forbid there's a couple of rebreather divers in the water... an OC diver could be adrift for another 90min before the boat could come get them.

A couple giant floats and toss the anchor line? That was one of the things I hated about NJ wreck diving... Always worrying about finding the damn anchor line and if you or someone else actually hooked it in well. We never bothered to tie in, but I dove on a 6-pack almost exclusively.

Old thread. But have you guys seen this? It's the halcyon defender pro. Has anyone tried this? Click on link for video.

Back
Top Bottom