Close Call at the LDS and a High Pressure Reminder...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my LP108s (OMS112).. Want another set...

As tempting as that is, I have a set of four now, plus a LP95, two LP72's (doubled) and an AL80 among a couple different sized pony tanks. I can't imagine a situation that would warrant any more tanks for my diving except perhaps an overnight Middle Grounds trips.

I do love them. The buoyancy characteristics are fantastic and when filled right it's about the equivalent of two AL80's. They're just a pain in the ass above the water line.

[QUOTE=" They're just a pain in the ass above the water line.[/QUOTE]

that is how I feel about all scuba gear

Small children shouldn't be allowed to roam in a scuba shop, complaining about lack of door or barriers to fill stations is silly.
Personal responsibility is a thing.

Small children shouldn't be allowed to roam in a scuba shop, complaining about lack of door or barriers to fill stations is silly.
Personal responsibility is a thing.

Thanks. He wasn't allowed to roam freely around the shop. Reading comprehension is a thing, too. :wink:

my wife is occupying my son

do some research on sustained load cracking in alm, plus read again my posts regards the tanks I hydro's and vip+ earlier in this thread

The failure rate was MUCH higher than I had ever seen, even on tanks 10-15 years old of the old alloy in heavy resort use that got filled to 3000-3200. that experience has been confirmed by others that I know who have worked that environment (high volume use in quantity) and do proper inspections.

couple that with having had two friends die when caught in cylinder explosions, one a storage bank, the another a alm 80 that was at a resort that filled to 3500 to keep the customers happy with fills (and that cylinder was 13 years old). i know of dozens more that didn't involve peopel I knew personally, and came close to having a shop I ran blow up from a neck cracked alm 80, in hydro, with a VIP (not eddy)
If you disagree, play the odds you are comfortable with. My education and experience leads me to conservatism when it comes to alm tanks

do some research on sustained load cracking in alm, plus read again my posts regards the tanks I hydro's and vip+ earlier in this thread

The failure rate was MUCH higher than I had ever seen, even on tanks 10-15 years old of the old alloy in heavy resort use that got filled to 3000-3200. that experience has been confirmed by others that I know who have worked that environment (high volume use in quantity) and do proper inspections.

couple that with having had two friends die when caught in cylinder explosions, one a storage bank, the another a alm 80 that was at a resort that filled to 3500 to keep the customers happy with fills (and that cylinder was 13 years old). i know of dozens more that didn't involve peopel I knew personally, and came close to having a shop I ran blow up from a neck cracked alm 80, in hydro, with a VIP (not eddy)
If you disagree, play the odds you are comfortable with. My education and experience leads me to conservatism when it comes to alm tanks
Your post made it seem like you had data to back up the order of magnitude increase of risk.

If that exists I'd like to see it, that's all.

Your post made it seem like you had data to back up the order of magnitude increase of risk.

If that exists I'd like to see it, that's all.
normally out of a couple hundred alm 80's less than second hydo I would have been shocked to see more than 1 or two fail. From this batch of 7 year old ones that got filled 2-3x daily to 3500 and over half failed eddy and a couple dozen failed the hydo.

Thread latecomer. Haven't read it all, but interesting idea to have all tanks secured when filling. I haven't seen that in the several shops I've been in.
Our shop here has the filling station away from the customer area, but not in a separate back room as I've seen elsewhere. OTOH, my mother would always say that kids shouldn't be touching ANYTHING in a store, so if he's in the dive shop you should be with him and neither of you should be near the filling station--in my mom's world anyway.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom