Close up lenses for the Canon G11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was wondering if anyone has experience with wet mount close up lenses.

I have a Canon G11 with an Ikelite Case and strobe. I am thinking of getting the 67 mm attachment and an Inon macro lens. Inon has two choices in the macro category: the Inon 165 and the Inon 330. I think the Inon 330 is about twice as strong as the 165. I was wondering if anyone has used either of these? What did you think of them?

Other way around, I think, the 165 is stronger. I have the 165, but have not used it enough to comment. People sometimes stack two 165s, for more magnification, but it leaves you with very little depth of field.

Sky,

I went and did some checking, you are right the 165 is the stronger lens.

Pat

Hi PatW
The Inon 165 is definately the more powerful lens. The Inon 330 will make very little difference to using the Canon G11 without the lens.
How it works is the Inon lenses act as a diopter, effectively magnifying the image seen by the camera lens. The 165 brings the focus point of the camera down to around 165mm from the camera, with the effect of a +6 diopter. While the 330 brings the focus point of the camera down to around 330mm from the camera, with the effect of a +3 diopter.
Because the camera already focuses closer than 330mm, the 330 lens doesn't achieve very much additional magnification. The 165 will allow you to use the telephoto end of you camera's lens and still focus at 165mm (approximate) distance... something the camera alone will not do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom