Closed cell freediving wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
They say there is no zealot like a convert. This is true in my case when it comes to wetsuits. I've SCUBA dived since 1999. For many years, it was a huge part of my life, not so much now, but I still dive. Several years ago, I dipped my toes in to freediving and after initial resistance, bought a proper wetsuit instead of using the wetsuits I had been using for SCUBA. In short, freediving suits are a world better in terms of comfort and warmth. I've been happily wearing them for the small number of SCUBA dives I do each year.

The major downside of freediving wetsuits is that they require copious quantities of lube to get them on without damaging the fragile open cell neoprene on the inside of the suit. This isn't a problem when day boat diving, but I have a liveaboard booked and can't see anyone thanking me for turning the dive deck in to a foam party. As a result, I've been looking for a closed cell freediving suit and think I have found just the thing in the Beauchat Espadon Bifo. I purchased one today. First impressions are very good and it fits me like a glove.

I don't expect it to be as warm as an open cell suit, but it is easy to put on and take off and there won't be any nasty flushing down the spine as there is no zip. Further to that, a nice smooth skin face seal should stop nearly all flushing. I expect it to be a lot warmer than a steamer. Coming back to the zip thing, it's always the zips that break first on wetsuit. No zips, no problem!

If the boat has a platform, you could probably keep the lube confined to that area - which is easily washed down by a hose or possibly by wave action. Having nylon on both sides of the suit, especially on a 5 mm suit, is going to affect flexibility.

Is the platform where all the people stand

Good thoughts. Should have said, I'm visiting an area famous for corals and other wildlife. Flushing all the soap in to the water over a week isn't a good look, although probably a drop in the ocean compared to what else goes on.

Re: flexibility. The suit is not a substitute for an open cell wetsuit, rather for a closed cell "SCUBA" suit with zips. I'll report back after using it.

I use this stuff. It’s fragrance free etc. I’m sure it would be fine, if I’m boat diving I just make sure most of it goes over the side and not where everyone is walking. Slippy Wetsuit Applicant

I used to use soap, but I found that after a week of 2-4hrs a day freediving I developed sores from holding soap against my skin where the wetsuit was rubbing against it.

Slippy lube seems to leave my skin much nicer and I now use it all the time.

Good stuff Bazza. That's another aspect of this. At home, I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I've tried everything else and it causes blistering and rashes, some of which can be quite nasty.

Eric and I dive only open cell including LOB. It is so easy. I just take my suit to the shower on the dive deck, wet it thoroughly, and myself, slides right on. If needed I might add a few squirts of diluted conditioner but really very little needed. And you could do that in your room shower. The other great benefit is no need to dry between days of diving.

A sample size bottle of conditioner will last Eric and I a week of dives.

I feel a little follow up on this thread is in order. I did buy the suit in question. As mentioned, it is a great fit. I'm average build. I've done a dozen or so dives in the Mediterranean with it. Water is warm, 28 degrees C plus, so not much of a challenge! That said, I hit a big thermocline yesterday and water temperature dropped 8 degrees C. I was aware of it, but still comfortable for about 30 minutes. As predicted, no flushing which I associate with "SCUBA" wetsuits.

Only downside is that I didn't find the suit as easy to don as anticipated. With no zips at the ankles that is the sticking point. Ironically, a little lube fixed this problem. I also noted that the stitching at the ankles didn't go all the way to the end of the suit, just a few millimetres shorts and during my initial straining to don the suit, these few millimetres pulled apart. I'm guessing they were glued. Neoprene contact adhesive resolved this minor issue.

Overall, a good suit, that "suits" my needs. Yours may differ.

I feel a little follow up on this thread is in order. I did buy the suit in question. As mentioned, it is a great fit. I'm average build. I've done a dozen or so dives in the Mediterranean with it. Water is warm, 28 degrees C plus, so not much of a challenge! That said, I hit a big thermocline yesterday and water temperature dropped 8 degrees C. I was aware of it, but still comfortable for about 30 minutes. As predicted, no flushing which I associate with "SCUBA" wetsuits.

Only downside is that I didn't find the suit as easy to don as anticipated. With no zips at the ankles that is the sticking point. Ironically, a little lube fixed this problem. I also noted that the stitching at the ankles didn't go all the way to the end of the suit, just a few millimetres shorts and during my initial straining to don the suit, these few millimetres pulled apart. I'm guessing they were glued. Neoprene contact adhesive resolved this minor issue.

Overall, a good suit, that "suits" my needs. Yours may differ.
I’d never again get in a dry suit if at all possible, the freedom of a nice wet suit is heaven. If you put your foot in a soft plastic bag it helps greatly with tightness at the ankle.

Back
Top Bottom