Closing of Millbrook Quarry and "The" Dive Shop in Northern VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely sucks. Hopefully, someone else will take over the lease quickly and get it back open.

Sort of like when a Chinese restaurant goes out of business... and another one moves in... and goes out of business.

:d

I did just learn today about Hyde's Quarry up in MD. It is a bit closer than Phoenix. And, if the viz is actually as good as it looks in the video on their website, it looks better (viz) than Phoenix, too.

Any of y'all been there?

I shot the video (and run the Hyde's web site). Vis comes and goes - changes with the season, weather, etc. That whole video was shot fairly shallow - if you get down too deep, the muck can get stirred up. There's a lot of organic matter on the bottom, it's not nice and sandy like some quarries.

Undersea Outfitters leases and runs the Quarry -- specific questions about diving there should be addressed to them (Laird Brown, the owner). I do know that he's working now to try and get the quarry lease to cover the entire year, which would make it easier to do winter diving when there's interest. Right now it only goes April-November I think. Best way to get ahold of Laird is to call the shop - 410-517-4999 when he's open (usually noon-6-ish, M-Sa).

I'm happy to answer what I can here, but I just help out on a volunteer basis (web site).

Undersea Outfitters leases and runs the Quarry -- specific questions about diving there should be addressed to them (Laird Brown, the owner). I do know that he's working now to try and get the quarry lease to cover the entire year, which would make it easier to do winter diving when there's interest. Right now it only goes April-November I think. Best way to get ahold of Laird is to call the shop - 410-517-4999 when he's open (usually noon-6-ish, M-Sa).

I'm happy to answer what I can here, but I just help out on a volunteer basis (web site).

Travis thanks very much for posting this information, it's probably going to help quite a few DMV divers looking for an alternative closer than Lake Phoenix or places farther up north. Westminster is not that bad.

Happy to help - it's very close to us, so anything to keep it viable is good. We've been watching the situation at the other quarries closely, and info on what's happening is actually being shared with the elected County leaders, so they understand that this is something that's bringing folks into the county, spending money, etc.

That said -- for the un-initiated, Hyde's has "minimal" services. There's a couple of port-a-potties, an old construction trailer to change in, and plenty of grass to park on. There's a few things in the water to look at - a Cessna, a Suzuki Samauri, school bus, and 3 boats, as well as 4 training platforms, but it's a lot of wet rocks mainly. Undersea can provide some rental gear, but it's best to call and arrange before arriving. No fills on-site, but there's usually filled tanks for rent. Bring cash -- credit cards are sort-of accepted, but there's a decent surcharge.

So basically, the amenities are no worse than Millbrook. 4 training platforms instead of 6, but that is no big deal at all. Millbrook maxes out at around 95 feet, and this was a draw for tech divers and for specialty training. For open water classes, Hyde's would work fine, I imagine, as long as you keep them well away from the bottom. You could probably even work a deal with local motels for people who didn't want to drive all the way back only to come back up the next day.

There's a couple of hotels not far away actually. Perhaps that's something I need to look at adding to the web-site...

Depth is the challenge -- Hyde's probably maxes out at 50-55' if you bring your own shovel. Anybody want to teach an underwater excavation class and create a deep-well? :wink:

Zebra mussels are an invasive species to the united states. As fare as economic issues they cause they also have a great impact on the environment and ecosystem. They eradication at millbrook was not just a safety precaution that needed to be take but it was also a great opportunity to study long term eradication. the water quality of the lake was monitored every year. Mussels were never in broad run and thank god if they got in to that system it would be an epidemic for the area that could easily get out of control and possible spread them in to the Potomac and even the bay. Once in the potomac they would eventually over run the native mussels found there that are finally making a comeback. So yes the loss of vis was not all that great but there are bigger issues then divers having good vis. Just a view from a biologist that study fresh water mussels and zebra mussels

OK, respectfully, to clear up some misconceptions about Millbrook Lake:
1) The lease is, in fact, around $1,500/month and also increases by a percentage every year. That does not include any services out there.
2) The owner did not "inherit" the property from his mother, as she is alive and well. The site has been in the same family for several generations.
3) The site was managed by "The" Dive Shop in Fairfax, on a contract lease. With TDS going under, new management would have to be established on a new contract, if the owners agree to keep the site open.
4) The lake does not get "poisoned" every year. Potassium chloride was used to kill the mussels and the solution was estimated to be effective for a period of up to 18 years. The pH has been re-tested several times since then to make sure levels were still in the effective range, by the state.

The reason given for the eradication was that Millbrook could overflow into Broad Run, theoretically transferring the mussels elsewhere, into areas like Lake Manassas or around the Lake Jackson Dam, etc. Ironically, since the eradication, the flow has been deliberately reversed at the south end of the lake, near the "dirt farm", so basically every time it rains, a huge amount of dirt gets washed directly into the lake. Hence, the terrible visibility. It's really a shame, as it was never proven that mussels were ever in Broad Run. This was all done based on a hypothetical future situation.

You gotta love the part of that official report that stated that "Broad Run has historically flooded the bank separating it from Millbrook Quarry" -- and then cited 1972 as the last time, during Hurricane Agnes. As though this establishes an historical pattern.

As for Mt. Storm, I think they prohibited shore diving, because of their volume of traffic, but were still permitting diving if you were diving off a boat/pontoon. Not sure if this has again been revised.
"Prior to this area being leased to WVDNR, scuba diving was allowed in an area adjacent to — but part of — this parcel. For some years, diving was allowed from shore, but as steadily increasing traffic created higher risks, it became necessary to revise the regulations. Scuba diving is still allowed, but divers must access the scuba diving area via a launched pontoon or other suitable boat, away from the boat launch area. Diving directly from the shore is not permitted."
This is the link to Dominion Power's Mt. Storm page, which outlines what you are allowed to do there:
https://www.dom.com/corporate/what-...eled-power-stations/mount-storm-power-station

That said -- for the un-initiated, Hyde's has "minimal" services. There's a couple of port-a-potties, an old construction trailer to change in, and plenty of grass to park on. There's a few things in the water to look at - a Cessna, a Suzuki Samauri, school bus, and 3 boats, as well as 4 training platforms, but it's a lot of wet rocks mainly. Undersea can provide some rental gear, but it's best to call and arrange before arriving. No fills on-site, but there's usually filled tanks for rent. Bring cash -- credit cards are sort-of accepted, but there's a decent surcharge.

I'm in the middle of a tech class right now for AN/DP. We had training weekends scheduled at Millbrook for next weekend (the 17th and 18th) and in November. We are now trying to figure out where to go and considering Hyde's. We would need doubles filled at the end of the day on Saturday. Is there anywhere close by where we could get that done?

From Millbrook, we would go to Coral Edge. If we go to Lake Phoenix, we can get fills right there. being able to rent filled tanks obviously is not going to work for my class.

You are not going to be able to do AN/DP in a 55 ft deep quarry. If it's through TDI the cert is good to 150 ft. A minimum of 6 dives are required and at least two must be in excess of 100 ft. If Millbrook only went to 95 you'd have to go somewhere else for at last two of those dives. When I teach it I do seven dives minimum with 4 of them in excess of 100 ft. At least two are in the 120-130 range so it does limit my choices. Fortunately I have Gilboa only 4 hours away.

Zebra mussels are an invasive species to the united states. As fare as economic issues they cause they also have a great impact on the environment and ecosystem. They eradication at millbrook was not just a safety precaution that needed to be take but it was also a great opportunity to study long term eradication. the water quality of the lake was monitored every year. Mussels were never in broad run and thank god if they got in to that system it would be an epidemic for the area that could easily get out of control and possible spread them in to the Potomac and even the bay. Once in the potomac they would eventually over run the native mussels found there that are finally making a comeback. So yes the loss of vis was not all that great but there are bigger issues then divers having good vis. Just a view from a biologist that study fresh water mussels and zebra mussels

So, I don't believe that anyone on this thread is arguing the necessity of eradication, and I believe everyone here is intelligent enough to understand the need for it and to see how damaging zebra mussels can be.

We are not fortunate enough at Millbrook to be in an isolated area where there is minimal risk. The main point, is that regardless of how anyone feels about the eradication of the mussels, it has been directly related to visibility going to near zero at some points, which impacts the dive business and the entire diving experience in this area as a whole. It put into motion a series of consequences which are looking more and more irreparable for the industry. And any ideas about introducing other freshwater mussel species to the lake seem unlikely after the potassium chloride, as I am fairly confident that the conditions for healthy growth are probably similar.

Then again, I am not a biologist. Just a dumb, and apparently selfish diver. This is just to let people know that a major local shop has gone under, and our local dive site is closed indefinitely as of now. It affects a lot of shops, and a lot of divers, not just for the sake of selfishly wanting good viz, but as a community and for reasons that are very personal to many of us. I know people who have been diving there for decades.

---------- Post added October 7th, 2015 at 05:43 PM ----------

You are not going to be able to do AN/DP in a 55 ft deep quarry. If it's through TDI the cert is good to 150 ft. A minimum of 6 dives are required and at least two must be in excess of 100 ft. If Millbrook only went to 95 you'd have to go somewhere else for at last two of those dives. When I teach it I do seven dives minimum with 4 of them in excess of 100 ft. At least two are in the 120-130 range so it does limit my choices. Fortunately I have Gilboa only 4 hours away.

What is the next available place to do these advanced certs now? Should be Dutch Springs, right? With Bainbridge no longer operating?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom