CMAS 1* standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is pretty interesting. It still seams like alot of guess work and hope it turns out alright. You know pools might be alot deeper over there! Sure that would explain alot!

In Paris there are 2 diving pools 10 and 20 m deep. Some regular swimming pool are 5m deep.
When you are in a club, you spend a minimum of 1 year training, (not 2 days).

I'm curious how they met the CESA and air sharing requirements in a 4m max pool?

"Demonstrate controlled air sharing as both donor and receiver while in a stationary
position in confined water and at a minimum depth of 15 feet (4.6 m) in open water.
* • Successfully demonstrate a controlled emergency swimming ascent in both confined
and open water from a minimum depth of 15 feet (4.6 m).
* • Demonstrate air sharing as both a donor and a receiver utilizing an alternate air
source during ascents in confined water and from a minimum depth of 15 feet (4.6m)
to the surface in open water. (Do not use buddy breathing)"

Hello,

Just catching up with so many posts to reply to...

I'm a Canadian, and I'm a CMAS Instructor living in Japan.
In fact, I did my CMAS Inst & DM in the Japanese language in Japan.
I instuct and guide in Japanese, English and French.

Here the standards are equally rigorous.

As far as my training goes, your potential guests from France are probably much more prepared for their open water portion of their course than if they had trained with another agency [I did up to Rescue Diver with PADI, then NAUI, so I CAN compare apples to oranges confidently...]

But they are not CMAS certified and will not be until they complete their 6 hours [= 4 to 6 dives] in the water with a CMAS instuctor.

Since it appears they already have been issued the French federation's C-Card, although I'm unclear as to whether or not they were issued a CMAS card, perhaps you can hold the review dive as part of a modified [read: abbreviated] course and for a reasonable fee issue them the PADI OW C-Card?

They get another cert and you get a more structured dive environment while checking them out...

Just an idea. :wink:

Will PADI back you up if something happens to them?
Wouldn`t bother PADI at all as they (guests) are not taking part in a PADI sanctioned course and a DM has no duty of care whatsoever unless assisting or instructing.

Hi!

I am an Irish Diver and just earned my CMAS * yesterday. Within our organisation this would be considered serious bending of the rules. I completed 5 pool dives, max depth 4m and these were not logged as qualifying dives. Only after I had completed 5 10m dives in the open sea and completed all exercises was I granted my first *. It is worrying to me that these divers would be allowed to dive to 20m without any open water experience. Very worrying!!! It is a safe sport for people who have been properly trained but these divers have not been properly trained.

I'm surprised to hear that PADI will accept CMAS * as an OW equivalent as they do not learn about decompression tables- thus they cannot plan dives independantly, and there is no compass work.

IME working in with FFESSM/CMAS in Djibouti the CMAS system is quite 'logical' however I do not agree that CMAS * should be diving to 20m deep straight after the course. This is of course at the discretion of the guide... however guides are often moronic asshats :).

For the CMAS ** there is a big jump in diving skills and physical requirements. There is more of a sense of 'working towards' attaining the ** qualification and it is normal to hear about people going to the pool with PMT (palmes/masque/tuba) to work on their surface/apnea skills and endurance levels. I wish I could say the same about the other recreational agencies.

I'm a CMAS Instructor that was involved with the Canadian Diving Federation representing CMAS in Canada (a couple of years back). The World Diving Federation (CMAS) is represented in each country by a representing body. They have an ability to change the requirements for CMAS certification. That said, there is a minimum requirement established by CMAS. Currently a One Star Diver requires 5 OW Dives before s/he can be certified. Interestingly enough, Section 10.3.1 of the One Star Training Program states:

"The participant shall demonstrate to the CMAS Instructor his mastery of the open water SCUBA skills, as prescribed in Clause 2.2 of Syllabus 3.5 in Chapter 3, during one or more of the open water training dives."

It was agreed that CMAS and PADI would recognize a training & experience equivalency at the * Star Diver level and at the advanced ** Diver level to allow PADI certified divers to enter the CMAS Star Certification System. The Agreement pertains only to the novice Diver and advanced Diver levels, and does not apply to the CMAS Diving Leader or Instructor levels. CMAS national training affiliates have the option to participate or to decline participation in this Agreement.

---------- Post added April 30th, 2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

...I have to say I am impressed-what is CMAS saving for the advance course?

One Star Diver (*) requires 5 OWD = once certified may dive during the day with ** Diver in sheltered water to a maximum depth of 20M (no decompression dives).

Two Star Diver (**) requires One Star (or equivalent) + 20 dives (10 between 10 and 30 M & 10 dives between 20 and 40 M) = once certified may dive with * Diver during the day in sheltered water to 20M, or a ** or *** Diver (day or night) to 40M (no decompression dives)

Three Star Diver (***) requires Two Star (OE) + Rescue + O2 Administration + a prerequisite of 50 logged OWD that shall include: night, limited visibility, deeper dives (between 30 to 40 M), drift. cold water and navigation dives + a number of 50 M training dives/assessment (50M and written) = once certified may "plan, organize and conduct open water diving activities and lead other recreational sport divers in open water on both guided and organized dives" (within their certification restrictions) and "to act as an instructional assistant to a CMAS Instructor by controlling students and improving safety. The CMAS Three Star Diver is however not qualified to assess or teach any skills or knowledge to any participant on a CMAS Diver Training Program." Maximum depth of 56 M including decompression dives.

Last edited:
I need help verifying if the certification of my lvl 1 cmas freediving course is valid or not
An interesting question; "valid certification in freediving?" If you can dive to a certain depth and stay down for a certain amount of time and you find out your cert is invalid, is the time/depth cut in half? Sarcastic I know but I am truly wondering what is meant by valid/invalid in this case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom