Co2 Pellet gun underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would a Co2 powered pellet gun fire under water?

If so how loud do you think it would be?

How about a sling shot, work underwater for steel balls?

I’ve never tried either one of these attacks, but sounds like fun during a deco stop, I wonder if my buddy would appreciate a metal ball bouncing off his cylinders?

Guess I have to try and find out.

Good luck-

JUMBO

FIXXERVI6:
I would expect the pellet to more or less roll out of the barrel and drop.
FIXXERVI6:
It would definitely be noticeable, although probably not all that loud.
FIXXERVI6:
The velocity would drop off pretty quickly. Water is pretty stiff stuff when you try to put something through it at speed.

not to mention the lack of hydrodynamic shape and no control surfaces. I also figure in addition to not going to far it's flight path would be erratic. something akin to letting go of an untied off ballon and watching it flop about uncontrolled as the air escapes.

I think it would fall out of the end of the barrel accompanied by a few bubbles.

I'd probably go with the speargun and the explosive head. Are we going to Iraq???

you would need a much longer heavier projectile than normal, something almost pencil shaped. They make thse things for playing with in swimming pools that are kinda like an underwater torpedo that go a good distance, they are very heavy and very streamlined, this is the sort of design you would need.

a projectile made for air would almost certainly not go very far.

what about a pointed Pellet, its lead, pointed with a skirt, and in air some Co2 pistols pack some punch, my biggest concern is the sound.

FIXXERVI6:

The CO2 gun would fire but as Johnnythan said, it would more or less roll out of the end of the barrel. A friend of mine fired his 9mm pistol into the water while his cousin watched from under water. He said the bullet penetrated about 6 feet and more or less gravity took over and it merely sunk. As for the sling shot....I guess that's why under water spears were invented. The guy using the steel balls starved to death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom