Co2 Pellet gun underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
Good to see Darwinism is alive and well :eyebrow:

haha. I guess that did sound like something that Johnny Knoxville and Stevo would have dreamed up.

FIXXERVI6:
what about a pointed Pellet, its lead, pointed with a skirt, and in air some Co2 pistols pack some punch, my biggest concern is the sound.
Get concerned about the pellet going anywhere. In water, the length to cross section ratio becomes a big deal.

The punch from that pellet comes from it moving at a few hundred feet per second. That is not going to happen underwater. The mass and shape of the projectile are all wrong for delivering energy in water.

So it makes sound. So what?

Bullets shot from rifles into the water from above only have limited penetration abilities. The water absorbs the energy quickly. A .223 or 30-06 cartridge shot from a powerhead underwater only goes a few feet after going through even a small fish or if pre-ignition happens. Any of these projectile will weigh up to 50 times more than a pellet so I would think that the pellet would fall off in a hurry. I've heard many times that Glock pistols will work underwater. There's a story about Cali. abalone dovers carrying them for shark protection.

FIXXERVI6:
what about a pointed Pellet, its lead, pointed with a skirt, and in air some Co2 pistols pack some punch, my biggest concern is the sound.
You biggest concern is sound? Is there something you are not telling your buddy? LOL

any pistol will fire underwater provided you use ball ammo - hollow points will destroy the barrel as they begin to expand before exiting the barrel due to the resistance of the water.

Why??

UW paint ball??

Regards,

FIXXERVI6:
How about a sling shot, work underwater for steel balls?
You'd need em to try it. :eyebrow:

deadend:
Bullets shot from rifles into the water from above only have limited penetration abilities. The water absorbs the energy quickly. A .223 or 30-06 cartridge shot from a powerhead underwater only goes a few feet after going through even a small fish or if pre-ignition happens. Any of these projectile will weigh up to 50 times more than a pellet so I would think that the pellet would fall off in a hurry. I've heard many times that Glock pistols will work underwater. There's a story about Cali. abalone dovers carrying them for shark protection.

My pellet gun has a muzzle velocity of 950/sec. I guess this is the speed of the pellet as it leaves the gun barrel. But, if it's fired under water, and the barrel is full of water to begin with, it will never attain that velocity. I may not even make it out of the barrel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom