Cobalt Coast or Sunset House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and daughter and I are thinking of trying the Caymans; my wife has narrowed her choices to Cobalt or Sunset.

Which would be the better bet for first timers to Caymans?

All are experienced divers. My wife and daughter also like shore diving. Which would be better for that?

Thanks

I've stayed at Cobalt Coast a couple of times. Would not even consider staying at Sunset..

I like good diving,peace and quiet, regular size tanks. YMMV.

Sunset has the advantage of being close to town so easy access to many restaurants and the likes will be great. Cobalt is quite a distance from town. Cobalt shore diving is a bit better, but I have had many great dives at Sunset.

Personally, I would not stay at either. I would stay at a place on seven mile beach such as Sunshine suites. Assuming you are renting a car, way you can move around easily and try out various dive operators and locations. Make sure to do at least one 2-tank on the east end.

Cheers. The water is super warm right now :)

M.

I have stayed at both resorts with kids and would stay at either one again. Sunset House is within walking distance of town and does have a more sociable atmosphere. Locals go there for happy hour and dinner. Beach diving is alot of fun. Cobalt Coast is on the west side of the island has great beach diving and two beach diving locations with a shuttle that will run between the two locations. To get to the shopping district you will need a cab or rent a car. BTW, Sunshine Suites is another good location that I have stayed, but it is not on Seven Mile Beach, but across West Bay Road. It is within walking distance of the beach. Good food, but you will need to rent a car. Have a great time.

Thanks all

Any other helpful hints?

Stay out of downtown when you see Cruise ships in the harbor...:D

My wife and daughter and I are thinking of trying the Caymans; my wife has narrowed her choices to Cobalt or Sunset.

Which would be the better bet for first timers to Caymans?

All are experienced divers. My wife and daughter also like shore diving. Which would be better for that?

Thanks

My son and I have stayed at Cobalt Coast and dived with DiveTech twice. Great place to stay, good food on site, great diving. Very close access to North Wall on DiveTech boats. They have DM in water but your choice to follow or not. Ready access to nitrox. Two very good shore sites included in package at Cobalt Coast and at Lighthouse Point. Also close to Turtle Reef shore site you can do with Sun Divers at a reasonable rate. DiveTech has a great DPV dive from Cobalt Coast to Lighthouse Point that is a real blast.

Cobalt Coast is a little isolated, a plus for me, not for everyone. If you want to be in the madness of Georgetown and SMB, Sunset House might be a better location. I've never dived with them, the shore dives mentioned above are superior to the ones in town in my opinion. I would rent a car regardless of your choice, certainly for Cobalt.

Have a great trip,

Craig

I did something slightly different since I had some non-divers on the trip that wanted a great beach to skim board. We stayed at the Westin, great rooms, great beach and across the street is Eats and Legends sports bar. GREAT breakfast and an extensive lunch/dinner menu. The hotel is in the middle of 7-mile beach and close to everything. We dove at cobalt coast who picked us up at the hotel every morning and had lockers for gear storage. The diving up on the north wall was spectacular. Didn't dive at Sunset, but I hear they have a great operation. We did however go to My Bar at sunset house a few times. GREAT drinks. If you only want diving go Cobalt, if you want a more social atmosphere go Sunset. If you want both, Westin.

Enjoy.

Cobalt Coast, no question about it. The shore diving is excellent, and much better than at Sunset.

Back
Top Bottom